Software just locks up on OSX?

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

NoelEiffe

Software just locks up on OSX?

Post by NoelEiffe »

So I've tried plugging my Wahoo via USB using multiple cables, multiple usb inputs. Did a factory reset as well.

But whenever I start the Wahoo editor, it shows blank on F00, doesn't connect to the wahoo, and won't let me switch to the setup menu.

I've fully uninstalled with AppZapper and reinstalled the latest version twice without it helping. Running OSX 10.8.5.

Any ideas?

- sm
NoelEiffe

Re: Software just locks up on OSX?

Post by NoelEiffe »

Hmm. Actually, it would appear that my wahoo is kind of completely hosed. Guess I need info on a repair...
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Does your Wahoo appear to work correctly when not connected to the Mac?

It sounds like the editor can't find the Wahoo. Can you connect to the Wahoo using USB other than the editor (e.g., using the Sonuus Firmware Updater)? Does the Wahoo show up as MIDI ports in OSX?

It could be that there is a problem with the USB connection. More likely is a software issue in OSX that's causing it not to be seen, so we need to check if that's the problem.
NoelEiffe

Post by NoelEiffe »

I thought it was (since it looks on and working), but I'm not getting any sound out of it. If I sort of jiggle the output connection I get a sort e-burp out of it briefly. Yes, I tried other cables, etc. I think the unit has a larger issue...
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

OK, some basic checks (not connected to the Mac):

(1) Pressing the footswitch: does the main LED toggle on and off? Do you hear relays clicking when you do this?

(2) Do a filter calibration to see if you get an output from the self-oscillating filters (more info in the user manual page 28). Press and hold the FILTER1/2 button and the FILTER knob for 4 seconds. The display should then show CAL. Let go of the button and knob. Now, pressing FILTER1/2 will toggle which filter is outputting. You should get an 880Hz tone from each filter (you calibrate the unit by tuning this output to be 880Hz). This should check that most things are basically working.
NoelEiffe

Post by NoelEiffe »

Well, this just keeps getting weirder and weirder. I reconnected the pedal, and it IS working by itself. Plugged in midi, no sw working. But then I thought: Oh, let me yank the power cord and see if it's actually getting power from midi. Nope. And then, I pulled and reinserted the midi cable - and the midi jack has now disappeared inside the unit! I.e., there's nothing but a hole where the midi connector used to be.

Is this something I should just try to fix myself (open the pedal, try to reattach the USB connector to the frame)...or is this something that should be repaired by professionals? If the midi jack has been loose, e.g., then it probably does make sense that it hasn't been connecting properly during this whole episode?

What do you think?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

You mean the USB connector (not the MIDI connector) on the Wahoo has broken and fallen inside?

Is it just the USB connector, or have other things moved too (the DC power connector, and lock switch)?

The most likely explanation is that either the USB connector hadn't been soldered in correctly (or at all!) so it just popped out when you applied pressure. Or that the PCB hasn't been screwed into place so it has moved when you put pressure on the connector (but in that case the USB connection should still be reliable).

I'm happy for you to open the Wahoo to investigate -- it won't affect your warranty. Tell me what you find. If it's s something easy to fix, please try to do so. If not, we will replace your Wahoo. Similarly, if the fix isn't trivial but you think you can do it, give it a go, if it doesn't work, we'll replace it for you.

If possible, take some quick photos of what you see so we can pass it to the QC dept.
NoelEiffe

Post by NoelEiffe »

The DC power appears to be fine, it's just the USB connector itself that disappeared into the unit.

I'm having to take a crack at it, and will grab a few photos as I go. Then, I suppose, if I can't sort it out, we can figure what to do from there.

Thanks for the support here. I do appreciate it...

- scott
NoelEiffe

Post by NoelEiffe »

Well, ok. Took it all apart. The USB connector was completely loose in the box. I reset it, clipping the clip in what appeared to be tightly - e.g., pushed on the inner usb tip with a screwdriver, etc. Put it all back together. Plugged in a USB cable and click - it disconnected and is now rattling around in the pedal again.

Repair time, I suppose...sigh.

- sm
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

As I suspected, though I've never seen that before on any of our products. I suppose these things can happen rarely.

The USB connector needs to be soldered into place. Once that's done, it's impossible to remove it (without desoldering!)

Do you want to try that (do you have soldering kit)? Or want to get it swapped for another one?