Car Alarm noise after a while using wahoo

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

james
Site Admin

Re: Car Alarm noise after a while using wahoo

Post by james »

ThePiecan wrote:has anyone just tried a Neutrik gender bender Usb-b to usb-a female...so you can just whack in the USB midi clock from a Alesis/Emu/Roland whatever midi to USB adapter cable? See below!!
I meant to say that using a gender changer won't work. USB cables have specific genders for a reason: to ensure you can't connect hosts and devices the wrong way. Using a gender changer to connect one USB device to another USB device won't work -- you need a host to administer the USB connection.
ThePiecan

Post by ThePiecan »

Hi James..I have tried Lappy on battery and Wahoo on battery...still noisey....and those isolators a arn't cheap :-( I think my Lappy generates noise! I will have to keep fiddling.

Anyway... my main concern is the unit breaking down into a car alarm siren. I only get to jam on Saturdays....but last night it was happening on all the patches I was using. I saved up some patches and also have the audio recordings of the wahoo kicking off....so see what you can hear or deduce from these? All seems well...recording away and then 10 to 15 mins in it blows. I have cut you the sections of recording where it goes from working fine to going crazy car alarm :o

So.. check your inbox for my e-mails and attachments..... BTW you won't be hearing a guitar it is a McSpadden Mountain Dulcimer with Schatten Dualie Pick up through LR Baggs gig pro (Always on Battery) If you want rest rig details/configuration...we can email later....ttfn....crs.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks for sending the audio files. It sounds great (until the alarm kicks off)!

I can hear that its still running in time when it changes from the "beat" sound so it does seem that something has gone wrong with the cutoff control. I assume the hi and lo frequencies of the filter haven't changed (you can see this on the editor if it changes). If the filter graph display looks the same when this happens, I can only assume there is a fault. However, if the filter graph updates so the frequency changes, there is something else going on (that currently I can't explain).

Happy to send you a replacement and get the first one back from you so I can investigate what's going one. But, it'll be good to confirm the frequency isn't updating in the editor for some reason because if that's happening, the same may happen on a new one.
ThePiecan

Post by ThePiecan »

I am sending my master midi clock into my laptop via an Alesis midi to usb cable. Can you make the editor find this's and route it to the Wahoo? At the moment I am routing the midi clock to the Wahoo with Copperlan Midi routing freeware...any other suggestions? I have ordered a Olliwhatever usb I isolator today as the noise is awfull(£35 Amazon) The Wahoo unit keeps breaking down into Car Alarm noise after a shorter while now :-( .... but will keep fiddling before we say it's the unit! Had to move my set up to new room and laptop died at Christmas....so been a while, and work pressures... but want to record soon...so need to resolve this! I need to check no midi loops or other feedback issues....I am using headphones and no speakers on rig when recording. Don't think I need Kenton as I want to use the editor when playing and can merge the clock in small notebook/Lappy. (Also it's another £ton on the 2£ton already wedged!!) I also think a Wahoo app editor with clock port for ipad would be handy for iodock etc ... I normally use Midi bridge in ipad to route midi! ..great little app. So my issues are: using editor and midi clock at same time, from laptop to wahoo and stopping it going car alarm.... isolator arrives tomorrow and I may get some time this week...hopes. Any help appreciated from anyone and James in advance of my anticipated noodling...crs and thanks for past help posts crs.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Many sequencers will let you route MIDI from one MIDI port to another.

Alternatively, if you just want to route all the MIDI (and of course the MIDI clock), MIDI-OX does this (for Windows) http://midiox.com/ You can configure this to connect a MIDI input to a MIDI output -- exactly what you want.

You can use the Desktop Editor alongside this because it uses HID prototcols and not MIDI so any MIDI application can run seamlessly beside the editor.

Usually with USB noise, connecting a 9V DC power supply will fix this, even when USB is connected. But the USB isolator works great, and guarantees no ground loops.
ThePiecan

Post by ThePiecan »

thanks James....I tried the 9v trick both Wahoo and USB powered hub! ...no joy . Olimex USB isolator here so off to test.
Thanks for Midi OX...have used before...long time ago on Novation Synth...will Try it again as Copper LAN is bit iffy on clock listeners!

It would be really good if the wahoo editor listened for USB midi clock and routed to wahoo !!!!!

Thanks for reply...standby for results hopefully soon!!!
ThePiecan

Post by ThePiecan »

Olimax Isolator works well ... Isolating whole powered USB 4 port hub ! ...mixer is nice and quiet...Wahoo powered from this USB hub.

Midi in to net book via Alesis 5pinDin to USB as MidiOX in. Out midiOX set as Wahoo.

Have had car alarms... But keeping Q below 75% and not venturing both filters higher that 2Khz at moment...seems to keep it from happening!

Also...idock apps can jump a midi connection between apps and double the midi clock!! ..so keep an eye on iPad routings in Midi bridge app... a run away clock may have caused a car alarm!

Also use the midi clock tempo viewer in midiOX.

Hopefully things are now improving...time will tell. Thanks for heads up on MidiOX and Olimax James ...both good tips for those wanting to tweak the editor whilst sending midi clock at the same time....and only £30 for Olimax kills any USB noise.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks for the update. I'm very pleased to hear the Olimax worked for you, and Midi-Ox.

A runaway MIDI clock! Yes, that would cause problems and isn't something I would have though of. I'm glad you noticed that. Hope it all goes better from now one.