wahoo problems

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

wavesofsound

wahoo problems

Post by wavesofsound »

I bought a brand new Wahoo from guitar center a few days ago and the foot pedal isn't working right. Sometimes it does work, but mostly it won't. I tried it with the lock switch off or on, doesn't seem to matter. It will go up through the presets, but none of the presets will be affected by the foot pedal (rocker). Also, sometimes when I switch to the presets I get no effect sound at all, it just blinks the led on & off with no effect coming through, like I'm still in bypass mode.

I really like the pedal, but this is real bad for a brand new pedal.

If I want it fixed should I just return it to guitar center? How long will it take to be repaired? I didn't even register the pedal yet it's so new. :(
james
Site Admin

Re: wahoo problems

Post by james »

Sorry to hear you are having problems. We had some problems with a connector to the pedal sensor, so if it's working sometimes and not at other times this could be the problem. If the connector is loose, it can make an unreliable connection -- we can fix/replace that for you easily enough.

Please check the pedal really is dead (we found in some cases USB suspend could cause a similar problem, so try without a USB connection to be sure this isn't the cause -- "USB suspend" has been removed from the latest firmware because of this).

Do the following:

(1) Enter pedal calibration mode (hold down FILTER1/2 button and the MODE encoder for 4 seconds). The 7-seg display will show "CAL".

(2) Move the pedal back and forward and see what numbers you get. It should be around 280 in heel-down, and 490 in toe-down. The actual numbers aren't critical, but they should be around this if working correctly.

(3) Press SAVE will exit calibration mode.

(4) If the numbers in (2) look sensible, the pedal should be working again.

Please tell me what you get doing the above procedure.

Note that many of the effects won't be affected by the pedal. The first 20 are all pedal-controller presets (F00 - F19).

The problem with no sound is because the Wahoo is in preset select mode: with the main LED blinks this indicates preset select mode (see the user manual page 11). In this mode, the bypass state won't change, so if the effect wasn't enabled it will remain disabled while you select presets (but it it was enabled, it will remain enabled).

A long press on the footswitch toggles you in and out of this mode. You can configure the time it takes to do this in the custom settings (user manual page 27), or using the desktop editor, so that it is faster to get in to, or so that it is harder to do it by accident. You can also turn this feature off.
wavesofsound

Post by wavesofsound »

When I went into calibration mode I am getting around (it's jumping around a bit) 910 in toe down position and 925 in heel down position. Next time I got 917 in toe down and 933 in heel down.

When I tested the presets I made sure I started with F00 (and other presets that used the foot pedal) and went up from there. Never used USB for power.

Edit: Did a factory reset of the Wahoo pedal and pretty much the same thing. :(
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Unfortunately, this looks like a problem with the pedal connector and it needs to be repaired / replaced.

I'm assuming all the other, non-pedal, presets are working correctly?

You can contact our US distributor, Peterson Tuners, and they will arrange a quick repair/replacement for you. Do this through their help desk:

(1) Go to: https://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=157
(2) Select the product as "Sonuus Wahoo"
(3) Select "Open Helpdesk Ticket" (on a tab below the product selector).

They will then take care of you. Any problems, just get back to me and I'll ensure it goes smoothly for you.
wavesofsound

Post by wavesofsound »

Ok, thanks James. The rest of the pedal does appear to be functioning properly, as far as I can tell.

I do have a few questions about the return though.

1. Why can't I return the pedal to my local Guitar Center store where I originally purchased the pedal for repairs? (assuming they can then ship the pedal to a qualified Sonuus repair center)

2. If I go with Peterson Tuners, will I have to pay shipping fees to them? Or will they send me a shipping label to pay for the shipping costs out to them? And will they pay for return shipping of the pedal?

3. Will there be any other fees I have to pay for the repair or parts? Or is the whole repair covered under the warranty?

4. Do you have any idea how log the repair will take? Just looking for a general repair time, nothing exact (days, weeks, etc..). Not including shipping times.

Thanks.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

1. Why can't I return the pedal to my local Guitar Center store where I originally purchased the pedal for repairs? (assuming they can then ship the pedal to a qualified Sonuus repair center)
You can do this. But Guitar Center will then send it to Peterson. By dealing directly with Peterson I think we can get things resolved faster for you.
2. If I go with Peterson Tuners, will I have to pay shipping fees to them? Or will they send me a shipping label to pay for the shipping costs out to them? And will they pay for return shipping of the pedal?
Peterson will send you a shipping label, and all the costs for you.
3. Will there be any other fees I have to pay for the repair or parts? Or is the whole repair covered under the warranty
You won't have to pay anything.
4. Do you have any idea how log the repair will take? Just looking for a general repair time, nothing exact (days, weeks, etc..). Not including shipping times.
I don't know exact details, but it's typically handled very quickly (days, rather than weeks).