Bypass / Patch switch suggestion.

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

digi2t

Bypass / Patch switch suggestion.

Post by digi2t »

James,

I realize that having the bypass switch act as a patch selector might be a "cool" function, but in some instances, it's a PITA. This is no more true than when trying to bypass in rhythm with a song, and the timing has to be more or less perfect. Since the bypass switch can be toggled to serve an either/or function, that means that for bypass, you have no choice than to actually bypass, or engage, the effect when lifting your foot off the switch. From a rhythmic stand point, this is very awkward.

The Adrenalinn suffers from the same "more is supposed to better" malaise. The drum machine footswitch engages the same way, on the "One- and- a..."

Could you folks offer the option to simplify the bypass switch? Maybe via the software? I mean, I would prefer to switch patches either on the unit with my finger, or via MIDI, and have a bypass switch that latches the moment I step on it. Now that, would be cool. Not quite as cool as this pedal is in general, but pretty damn close.

Yours truly,
"The first note I play after I finish my solo sounds wonky"
james
Site Admin

Re: Bypass / Patch switch suggestion.

Post by james »

The preset selection via the bypass switch can be turned off (via the custom settings). Then the bypass switch acts only as a bypass switch.

However, when this is done, the action of the switch still happens when you release it, rather than when you press it. I think you are suggesting that this could be changed so that the action happens on the press rather than on the release?

I think that's a very good idea. I don't think it will cause problems for people used to how it is now because generally when you press it, you do it quickly and don't distinguish the press and release.
digi2t

Post by digi2t »

I think you are suggesting that this could be changed so that the action happens on the press rather than on the release?
That is correct. Like I said before, when using rhythmic based effects, it's a natural thing to tap ones foot. If the switch latches/unlatches on the press, rather than the lift, it's more natural, and timing wise, more precise. Especially at lower tempos.
I don't think it will cause problems for people used to how it is now because generally when you press it, you do it quickly and don't distinguish the press and release.
No, don't think it will be a problem. Besides, for those that have lots of pure analog effects on their board (like me), they're probably more used to the good old mechanical "stomp switch", which latches/unlatches on the press. It will be a bit more natural for them... and me. :mrgreen:

Maybe add the switching options via the software GUI. No need to put this in the pedal. Like the MIDI channel affair, this is a set-and-forget event.

Thanks James.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The switching option is already available on the pedal and the editor, so it will just be a case of changing the behaviour in that one case (hold fotswitch to select presets = off) to handle the press rather than the release action.

Will aim to get that into the next release, along with a few other things.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Just to confirm: this has now been implemented and will be in the next firmware update. It works well :D
digi2t

Post by digi2t »

As with this pedal, you guys rock!

Any inkling on when the release date will be for the next update?