Attempting to clone another wah pedal

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

mjkl

Attempting to clone another wah pedal

Post by mjkl »

Hi,

Happy New Year :)

I've just spent some time attempting to match the EQ from my old wah pedal using the Wahoo software. It's an interesting process, taught me a lot! :geek:

My method was to render some white noise @ -6dB to a wav file and play this back through the old wah pedal, taking a screenshot of the FFT EQ in Reaper at the low end of the sweep & the high end. Then I tried to match this up visually (and using my ears, obviously) using the Wahoo software. You can see from the attached images that it's possible to approximate the same EQ curve although what's noticeable is that the other wah pedal has a lot more high end transparency at the top of the sweep and a bit more low end, something I couldn't really get (although some subsequent tweaking with the 2nd filter helped a bit). I guess you could say that the mix level changes during the sweep on the old pedal.

I think that being able to alter the mix and drive dependent on the high and low pedal position would be really useful, even if it is 'clicky'. Hope this can be implemented soon.

All the best,
Mark
Attachments
low.jpg
low.jpg (135.96 KiB) Viewed 5151 times
high.jpg
high.jpg (136.97 KiB) Viewed 5151 times
james
Site Admin

Re: Attempting to clone another wah pedal

Post by james »

What you are doing is, I believe, the best way to try and match the frequency response of another pedal -- I do exactly the same thing!

I have found that often adding in some dry signal can get things to match a bit more closely; it can fill in those higher frequencies.

Your other pedals's response looks like it has a lot more low-pass than the band-pass you have set on the Wahoo. How does setting the Wahoo's filter to low-pass compare? Or even mixing one filter as low-pass and one as band-pass to fill in those low frequencies?