Low-level factory patches.

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

Dubhead

Low-level factory patches.

Post by Dubhead »

I bought one of these on a pre-order and it has sat in the house, pretty much unused since I bought it. Why? Well, the unit's factory patches are unbelievably quiet, really low level, probably around 15dB quieter than the dry signal! That and the fact the first selection of patches all seem to sound the same. I just gave up on it and put it away but recently I heard from other players the problems they'd been having with these units and I remembered the one I had and began to wonder if it, too, was a dud. Has anyone had the experience I've had? Are the pre-sets really meant to be low-level or is this unit a dud?
james
Site Admin

Re: Low-level factory patches.

Post by james »

The factory presets certainly shouldn't be low-level. They have all been carefully balanced to be similar to the dry signal as much as possible. Sure, some will be quieter or louder than the dry signal depending on the position of the filter (it's job is to remove signal, after all), but on average the level should be similar.

The patches are organised into banks of 10. So each group of 10 presets are similar (or at least based on the same ideas). So the first 10 presets are variations on wah pedal going from classic guitar and bass wahs to more interesting wahs (thicker, more resonant, etc). The next 10 are vocal wahs, the next 10 touch wahs, the next 10 bass envelope filters, etc. When you go through all 100 factory presets you'll see there is a huge variation there.

We've not had many problems with the Wahoo. The most common problem, which has only affected a few units, was a defective connector inside which could cause the pedal to stop working. That connector has been changed and is no longer a problem, and we'll repair any Wahoos that have that problem. Of course, with something as complex as the Wahoo there are lots of components and it's possible that a component or a connection has failed. The good thing is, it's easy to repair.

Are there any other symptoms? Have you checked the pedal is working ok? Do the envelope filters work (F30-F39), for example?

I've PMd you my details so we can continue this off the board to arrange a repair for you.