Loose input output jacks

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

JonnyB

Re: Loose input output jacks

Post by JonnyB »

Hi James,

I tried removing the plastic inserts but the metal sleeves don't screw all the way in. They stop leaving about 2-3 mm gap which is about the same as the insert. I would say there is a slight improvement when doing this but it's not a fix as such and the jacks are then semi - unsupported.

Anything else I can try before returning?

Thanks, Jon.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Hi Jon,

Not as a proper solution, but what happens when the metal insert is removed too -- can the jack go in further to make a better contact? It might be that the metal inserts are a bit long for some jack plugs.

James
JonnyB

Post by JonnyB »

Hi James,

If the inserts and spacers are removed then the jack is a much tighter fit into the socket and it takes an amount of "positive force" to remove it. I would say that there if the inserts were shorter that might solve the problem. There wouldn't be enough clearance for the spacers though.

Regards, Jon.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks Jon,

That's very useful. On the original Wahoo prototypes, there were no spacers on the jacks and these were added later for cosmetic reasons. The case is quite thick, and the jacks sockets aren't tight against the case to ensure there are no problems during assembly.

There are other jacks available. I don't have any to test with now, but I am looking at alternatives to see what would give improvements. It's not something that has been seen before and the Wahoo has been available for over a year now. So this may be something we change in the future.

It might be possible to move the analogue PCB slightly so the jacks are slightly closer to the back (i.e., loosen the PCB mounting screws, tighten the jack inserts to pull it towards the case, then tighten the PCB screws again). That will make it easier for the jack plugs to get in further.

James
JonnyB

Post by JonnyB »

Hi James,

Thanks for the info. The thing is I need to get this sorted as I have gigs coming up and don't really trust the jacks to stay in place as is. I have tried lots of different plugs and they all suffer from the problem to some extent. If there isn't a simple solution then is it possible to swap my unit out for one that has been modified?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

We don't have any units that have been modified. But if you return the unit to us, we can see if it is particularly loose and swap it (or swap the analogue board) for another one. It may be a bad set of jack sockets, or maybe they have been damaged somehow.
JonnyB

Post by JonnyB »

OK, Here's my assessment of the issue:

The threaded ferrules are too long. Even at their tightest, they do not allow a standard jack plug to go all the way into the socket. It's possibly an issue with this batch of Neutrik sockets.

Here's what I ended up doing. I have cut 2mm off the end of the threaded ferrules and reattached. This now allows the jack plug to go further into the socket and it requires positive force to remove it. I still wouldn't say it was a tight fit but it's much better than before.

This is a great product and I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of returning so I'll leave it at that but would have expected this kind of issue to be picked up in Q/A.

Thanks, Jon.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Hi Jon,

I am pleased you found a workable solution to this. Any problems in the future, just let us know.

Certainly the threaded ferrules are longer than normal. This is to ensure there is enough thread to grip securely. Originally we used standard-length ferrules, but we didn't feel these were secure enough (in that over-tightening of them could strip the thread), so switched to the longer ones.

We haven't seen this problem before (except for these two posts here). Since we started talking about this with you, we have checked several pedals here and they all seem ok too.

However, we've now added it as a specific check during QC just to be sure it doesn't happen again.

James
Jonners

Post by Jonners »

I am rebooting this thread as, having bought my Wahoo in June (it's been in storage for 4 months though, so I've only just got to play with it) I am having exactly the same problem. As previous posts have stated, this is quite disappointing, especially, as I now find, this has been known about for some time.

Please don't let this mar an otherwise excellent product.

So, what can I do about this? I have seen the suggestions about cutting of ferrules and the like. I'm not averse to a bit of DIY, but I really don't want to be getting a soldering iron out.

*** UPDATE FOR ANYONE HAVING PROBLEMS ***

Following some discussion with James, and some trial and error, I do now have patch cables that work (luckily I had a few different ones to try).

It is a frustration having not had any other pedals that don't retain the jacks, but it is resolvable without having to take things apart - and I haven't even played with removing the ferrules.
Last edited by Jonners on Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Sorry to hear you have this problem. We've not had any other reports of this (other than on this post), and we've not seen it again in any others we have checked. I believe it's mostly likely a statistical variation on the jacks, and occasionally there it could be looser.

Have you unscrewed the metal ferrules to see if it makes a difference? This will let you insert the lead further to check if the problem is the retention on the jacks themselves, or if it is a problem with the PCB being mounted too far back in the case.

I'll send you a PM so we can discuss anything private about your purchase.