Loose input output jacks

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

aurafx

Loose input output jacks

Post by aurafx »

Hi, I've had my Wahoo for a few months and it's been sat happily on my pedalboard however recently I've noticed the input and output connectors are extremely loose. I don't mean the housing has unscrewed - just that the 1/4 inch cable connectors going in tend to slide out too easily and there's not much friction. Every time I move my board the connectors slide out and there is very little 'click' when introducing them again. It's odd as I haven't repatched since the pedal was put on the board. I can't seem to get to the connectors from the inside without applying a lot of pressure to the boards and I don't want to damage anything as the pedal is working when on - it's just annoying since the output especially seems to let the cable slip out mid gig.

I've tried a few different connectors now, neutrik silent, george l's, planet waves, monster and none seem to hold so it doesn't seem to be a cable issue. I've retightened the housing for the jacks and checked to see that the connection is visible. It just seems like they are a bit weak and plastic compared to the rest of the pedal. The cables work their way out without being touched or pulled and this is the only pedal I've ever encountered this on.

Any ideas?
james
Site Admin

Re: Loose input output jacks

Post by james »

I haven't seen this before. The jacks used on the Wahoo are good-quality Neutrik jacks. I've passed your report back to manufacturing to see if they have more information.

Accessing the jacks to inspect/repair is easy. You need to open the pedal, then unscrew both PCBs, and unscrew the ends from the jacks. Then the boards will lift enough for you to separate (pull them apart sideways) the analogue and digital boards. You can then look at the analogue board very easily to see what's going on. There is sheilding over the jacks, but you should still be able to see in from the side.

Where do you live (which country)?
aurafx

Post by aurafx »

Hi James,

I'm in the UK, I bought the Wahoo from your eBay store.

OK thanks I got the boards moved and can just about see the jacks under the shielding. I'm not sure what is going on as the connectors seem to be present and in the correct position and obviously the pedal works it's simply that the cables disconnect very easily without even applying pressure they simply 'slip' out. I've not seen this on a pedal jack before. I have seen a guitar input that the cable would simply pop out as the connections were warped. As you say it's a standard Neutrik design so I'm not sure what's going on - might just be a bad batch or the metal contacts have lost their spring. I'm not very technical sorry. I'll get someone to have a look at it. Might have to replace the jacks themselves - would removing the shielding etc void any warranty?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

You're in the UK, so that makes it easier for us.

There is no problem switching out the jacks for alternatives. If you have to remove (or partially remove) the shielding, that's ok. No problems with the warranty.

I may have a spare analogue PCB here. I need to check this, and also check the jacks are ok for you. I could send you this and you could return the original PCB so I can check it here.

Let me know what's best for you.
aurafx

Post by aurafx »

Hi James,

If you have a spare board I'm happy to return the one here and try to get it sorted that way.

I'm not skilled enough with soldering to mess with it, but I have some techs who can switch the jacks over if needed.

Thanks
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

No problem,

Can you please send me a PM with your shipping address, and your eBay order id if you have it (or the email address you used to order it).

I'll see what I have to send you, and try to get this out to you ASAP.

James
JonnyB

Post by JonnyB »

Hi James,

I just got a Wahoo via the Ebay store and I have exactly the same problem. In my case, the jack plugs slowly ease their way out over the course of a session and finally pop out. I've tried different leads and some are better than others but they all have the same issue. Maybe this is due to a faulty batch of jack sockets? What are my options here please (I'm in the UK)?

Thanks, Jon.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Hi Jon,

We have talked to our supplier about this. One suggestion was that the length of the metal insert (the silver nut part) is quite long because of the thickness of the case. It could be that the jack can't be pushed in enough to grip correctly.

However, there is a plastic spacer (washer) between the case and this nut. If you remove the nut insert, remove this plastic spacer, than replace the nut insert, this will let the jack go in further. Please try this and see if it is improved.

James
aurafx

Post by aurafx »

Hi James,

Sorry for the late reply, my amp tech has taken the wahoo to have a look at it. He says it might be that it's using Neutrik connectors without the retaining spring or that the retaining element is faulty/compromised. If he has any luck I won't need to swap the board out and can save you the costs of sending one out. If he doesn't get anywhere I'll PM you and try and sort the board swap.

I'll mention this issue with the plastic bolts too. I think actually the jacks were retained better when I had the casing off, but I'll ask my tech to check it out as well.

Thanks again
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks for the update. Keep me posted.