Wahoo Q settings range vs real Wahs

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

blaggers

Wahoo Q settings range vs real Wahs

Post by blaggers »

I'm trying to set up my new Wahoo to get close to some different types of Wah pedals (Specifically my Fulltone Clyde Deluxe). The Wahoo editor has a range of 0-100 for the Q value, and the "standard wah" preset has a low and high Q in the 50 to 70 range (interestingly the Preset 04:Bright Wah has the same Q/frequency ranges set as standard!). How does this compare to the sort of Q range seen in the Pedal Area website plots for that pedal below? Is there a rule of thumb for creating a Q value based on such a plot? The Q value of 100 seems extreme, so what would be the typical Q range worth trialling when working on matching such plots?

james
Site Admin

Re: Wahoo Q settings range vs real Wahs

Post by james »

The Q on the Wahoo is scaled as a percentage from its minimum (almost flat) to maximum (self-oscillating). So it isn't in "proper" units of Q, which would be the centre frequency divided by the 3dB bandwidth (fc / BW).

The plots you show has the bandwidth increasing as the frequency increases, which is characteristic of a fixed Q. Also, the Q doesn't seem to vary with different settings: all that's changing is the lo and hi centre frequencies.

Preset 00 (classic crybaby) is a recreation of a crybaby pedal I have here. Q was chosen to match what was measured, and that does vary as the pedal is moved. There's also some dry signal mixed in to get the same sound.

Preset 04 (bright) is indeed the same, but this doesn't have any dry signal mixed in (which preset 00 does have). It is "bright" compared to the "dark" preset (01), rather than compared to preset 00.

I don't have time right not to do measurements to make a direct comparison of what Q on the Wahoo would match these plots. But, I guess somewhere between 50 and 75 would be a good start. Make this fixed (loQ and hiQ the same) to replicate this. Then set the lo and hi frequencies to match what's on the plots. You may need to adjust the DRIVE to make it warmer/cleaner depending on the tone you are after. That should get you pretty close.

If you get something you like, please use the editor to save the preset and share it here. I (and I'm sure others) would love to try them.
blaggers

Re: Wahoo Q settings range vs real Wahs

Post by blaggers »

Thanks James, I'll experiment this week and see what I come up with.