New Wahoo user with editing issues

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

kevnull

New Wahoo user with editing issues

Post by kevnull »

Hi. I'm new.

I like your pedal so far but I'm a bit lost in the editor. I've got the latest beta firmware on the pedal and I'm using the latest Windoze editor.

I've got a patch where the LFO beat division changes using the footpedal, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. When a filter is set to LFO mode I can't see any way to modulate any parameters using the footpedal. Is this just a feature that isn't represented in the desktop editor yet? Is it in the Mac editor (which I noticed is one point release ahead)?

Are there any other new 'hidden' footpedal features like this, and if so where can I find some documentation for them?

Finally: Is there any documentation for the MIDI implementation? When I search the only info I can find is about the Kenton USB->MIDI box. I'm assuming it will take program change instructions as well as MIDI clock sync, will it use any other messages?

Cheers. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah and one other thing... With the envelope follower I'm really struggling to get the filter to open on the higher strings on my bass, it seems really unbalanced. I've never had this problem with an envelope filter before. Any ideas?
james
Site Admin

Re: New Wahoo user with editing issues

Post by james »

To help get familiar with the editor, I recommend watching this video I did recently. It is quite long (46 minutes) but it does cover the Wahoo editor in a lot of detail.

http://youtu.be/RusRDyCT3W8

LFO divisions can be changed by the pedal in the latest (beta) firmware only (which you have). In the LFO settings, at the bottom in the "speed" section, there is a "pedal" on/off button. This lets you control the div using the pedal. I'm assuming this is on and the lo and hi div are set differently. Check this to see if that's what's going on.

In LFO mode, currently you can only change the speed using the footpedal. Either the tempo can be changed (if "type" is set to "pedal BPM"), or you can tap a tempo (if "type" is set to "tap tempo"). What other parameters would you like to modulate using the pedal?

There are no other hidden footpedal features. The newly added features are documented in the forum posting regarding the beta release. These have not yet made it into the pdf manuals.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1152

MIDI is documented in the Wahoo manual, including the paper version included with the product. See page 25 and 26 of the paper manual for details.

The envelope follower is not frequency sensitive, so it only detects signal amplitude. Higher strings often have a lower signal level than the bass strings, so I'm guessing that's your problem. You can get the same problem on guitar too. You may need to increase the envelope mode sensitivity to get these quieter strings to react as you want them to. An alternative is to use the global sensitivity ("sensitivity adjust" "on the Setup page of the editor) that works like a boost (or indeed cut) so that presets' sensitivity don't need to be tweaked for different instruments with different output levels -- just change this one parameter when switching instruments.
kevnull

Re: New Wahoo user with editing issues

Post by kevnull »

Thanks James that all makes much more sense now. I'd forgotten about the MIDI info in the back of the manual too. Whoops!

Still struggling a bit to get the envelope follower to quack evenly across the strings but I don't think I'll be using this box for envelope duties much anyway so I'm not majorly concerned about it.

Lovely bit of kit, this. :)