Wahoo and Power Supply problem

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

phildawson

Wahoo and Power Supply problem

Post by phildawson »

Hello, my Wahoo after 3 or 4 months now refuses to be powered by my Carl Martin Pro Power pedal board (regulated) supply. Sadly it chose to stop working onstage at Glastonbury! Batteries are still fine as a power source. The Carl Martin hasn't given me issues with anything else and powers a variety of pedals inc different voltages etc. Please does anyone have any suggestions about a fix for this. Many thanks.
phildawson

Re: Wahoo and Power Supply problem

Post by phildawson »

There's no sign of life when plugged into the power supply. have tried all the obvious stuff - different cabling etc.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Sorry to hear about this problem.

Batteries work ok. Does USB power work?

If these are both working, there's not much that can go wrong from the DC power connector, so if something has failed it should be a very simple fix. I would guess it's either something not fully soldered and missed during QC testing (e.g., the connector itself), or one of the EMC/ESD protection components has failed and these are easy to check and replace. We haven't seen this happen before, but this would be my guess based on the circuit design.

Do you want to return it so we can investigate for you, or do you want to do some quick checks inside the Wahoo to see if you can find the problem quickly?
phildawson

Post by phildawson »

I'll check it over - where should I be looking please?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

First, open the Wahoo by removing the metal base plate (lots of screws).

See the attached photo -- first check the solder connections on the DC power connector (highlighted).

If this looks ok, the problem is likely to be on the reverse of the digital board (where the DC connector is). If you want to check this, I will send much more detailed info. If not, sent it back to use and we'll check it for you.
Attachments
Wahoo DC Power connector pins
Wahoo DC Power connector pins
Wahoo_PowerIn.jpg (535.17 KiB) Viewed 11083 times
jackyjohnson

Post by jackyjohnson »

So sorry to hear your problems.

Is battery still running properly ? When you inject the USB, does it work ?

Just follow the instruction and hope it will be fine. Good luck
pedro

Post by pedro »

phildawson, I haven’t come across such an issue before where a wahoo would’ve just died without any apparent signs of malfunction before that. There can most probably be only two reasons, the power supply circuit on the board or the batteries. Sometimes, the batteries provide the right voltage when you check but they get loaded if connected to the circuit. The second option would be to recheck your power supply circuit visually and electronically for any damage.
viya0414

Post by viya0414 »

There can most probably be only two reasons, the power supply circuit on the board or the batteries.
PCBA services (printed circuit board assembly, hdi pcb, 4 layers pcb)