wahoo firmware update problems

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

sonofdob718

wahoo firmware update problems

Post by sonofdob718 »

in trying to update my firmware i went from 0 to 1.3, wahoo editor froze, said error in the background and now the pedal loads a patch but pedal movement does not affect tone anymore...

have tried going in order thru the updates, always crashes - same thing...

mac pro can - 10.10.3

any help appreciated
james
Site Admin

Re: wahoo firmware update problems

Post by james »

Have you installed the Sonuus Firmware Updater utility? This needs to be sitting beside the Wahoo editor for the update to work correctly. The Firmware Updater is a separate download.

When running an update from the editor, it puts the Wahoo into "firmware update mode" then runs the firmware updater (used for all Sonuus products, not just the Wahoo). If there is a problem running the updater, the Wahoo will be left in "firmware update mode". You need to repower it for it to start normally.

You can also do firmware updates using the Firmware Updater on its own, the procedure to get into firmware update mode is described in the Wahoo manual.
sonofdob718

Post by sonofdob718 »

i first tried using the updater(?) (wahoo _1_0300.sfu) putting the device in firmware mode myself but it did nothing. then used the editor to load that file, got spinny ball forever and finally forced quit. thought maybe i needed to go in order of updates, it did update to 1_0003 but now the wah is not effected by the pedal and further updates do not seem to take.

is there a way to force it back into factory mode?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The Wahoo user manual, page 30 describes this:

When the Wahoo is powered off, press and hole the FILTER button and the UP button, then connect power to the Wahoo. The Wahoo should now show "UPd" on the display.

Run the Sonuus Firmware Loader (not the editor), and select the Wahoo firmware update (the .sfu file). This will detect that the Wahoo is in update mode and let you press the UPDATE button. Do that and the udpate should start.

Once the update is complete, close the Firmware Loader and it will restart the Wahoo. It should then run in normal mode.

The calibration for the pedal may have been lost. This shouldn't normally happen, but if you went from a recent firmware to a much older one it is possible.

To calibrate the pedal (Wahoo user manual page 29):

Press and hold the FILTER button and the MODE knob for 4 seconds. The display should then show "CAL" to indicate it is in calibration mode. Move the pedal back and forward to the endstops to calibrate the pedal. The numbers on the display should change as you do this. When done, press SAVE to save the calibration.

If this works, you have probably lost the filter calibration too (Wahoo user manual page 28):

Press and hold the FILTER button and the FILTER knob for 4 seconds. The display should then show "CAL" to indicate it is in calibration mode. The filters will oscillate at 880Hz (an A5). Use a tuner to check this frequency and adjust the frequency using the FILTER knob. Do the same for filter 1 and filter 2 (selected by the FILTER button). When done, press SAVE to save the calibration.
sonofdob718

Post by sonofdob718 »

aha i do no thave the firmware loader - thus nothing happened with the sfu file.

would you be so kind as to post a link to that application? i find it quite difficult to locate these things on the sonuus website.

much appreciated

dan
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

That would explain it.

There isn't a direct link because you need to log-in to get access to the files. Go here: http://www.sonuus.com/software.html then log-in. There is only one page with all the downloads, you'll find it easily.
addseo1115

Post by addseo1115 »

Thanks for posting the useful information.
the firewall update news is so nice.
greghilight

Post by greghilight »

Hello ,
I just bought the Sonuus Wahoo.
i installed on my Mac the both Wahoo editor and the Firmware Updater.
I tried to update the firmware , and i got the wheel stocked spinning during 10 min...
i disconnected the usb , and now , when i want to update the firmware , on the Firmware updater it says:
"No Firmware on the device"
the wahoo always stays on the UPD mode , and everytime i try to update , it says:
" Update Error ".

So i am stocked , the pedal cannot be updated , there is no firmware working inside , so i cannot use the pedal anymore...
I bought it yesterday , and didn't even tried it yet....just wanted to have the latest firmware before start....

Please Help me
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Don't worry. You can't kill the Wahoo with a failed firmware update. You just need to get the firmware loaded onto it correctly. It's showing "Upd" which means it has detected no valid firmware so is waiting for new firmware to be loaded over USB.

Let's keep it as simple as possible, don't use the Editor, only the Firmware Updater. The Firmware Updater is used for all upgradeable Sonuus products, so it doesn't know which product is to be updated until it has loaded the firmware update file.

Have you downloaded the latest firmware file (it ends in .sfu)? The Editor has this built-in, but to use the Firmware Updater on its own you need to download this file.

Once you have this file, run the Firmware Updater and select "Load File" and load the .sfu file for the Wahoo. It will then look for the Wahoo in firmware update mode. When the Wahoo is connected it should find it (because it is already in update mode), and let you press the "Update" button, then the update should proceed.

Please let me know how you get on.
greghilight

Post by greghilight »

HEllo James,

Thank you for your reply.
That's exactly what i did during one hour yesterday.
I downloaded the Firmware updater , downloaded the latest firmware Wahoo_1_0300.sfu
i put the Firmware updater in the same folder as the Wahoo editor (i read this on some post)
i started the firmware Updater , loaded the firmware , they ask me to connect the wahoo.
then i press update , and it always end by this message : Update Error
and the pedal stays in UPD mode...
cannot do anything

Do you have another idea?
Thanks in advance
Greg