Dry/Wet mix sounds out of phase

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

matthammer

Dry/Wet mix sounds out of phase

Post by matthammer »

Hello, is there a way to get the filter sound in phase with the dry instrument sound? I use a near 50/50 mix, and there is a large volume drop at that point since it is out of phase. I have been getting around this problem by using a separate blender pedal (Exotic X-blender), that has a phase switch. Hope there is a way to do this on the Wahoo itself that I have been missing!
Thanks,
Matt
james
Site Admin

Re: Dry/Wet mix sounds out of phase

Post by james »

There isn't a way to make the dry signal perfectly phase-aligned with the wet signal, but you can approximate it.

The filter phase depends on whether it is low-pass (180 degrees) or band-pass (90 degrees).

A way to approximate the dry signal is to set one filter to minimal effect: hi/lo Q to 0, and hi/lo freq to 4kHz. If you set this filter shape (LP/BP) to match the other filter, both filters be in phase (below the cutoff frequency). Then use the filter mix to adjust the wet/dry mix. It works best for low-pass filters since this won't affect the low notes.
matthammer

Post by matthammer »

Okay, I will try that
TimeEchoProductions

Post by TimeEchoProductions »

Wow, this really disappoints me, I was going to buy a wahoo but having to give up a filter or use another blend loop to get a blend of dry signal in phase is a deal breaker for me. Makes me sad, this pedal looks so good on so many levels.

I now wish for a Wahoo MK II with these features:
-Ability to blend dry signal in phase
-5 pin midi din connection to connect to midi switcher without a Kenton box
-One shot LFO mode
-Audio rate LFO speed ability for filter fm sounds
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Wow, this really disappoints me, I was going to buy a wahoo but having to give up a filter or use another blend loop to get a blend of dry signal in phase is a deal breaker for me. Makes me sad, this pedal looks so good on so many levels.
These are very minor points considering everything else the Wahoo does, although I appreciate for your particular application they might not be minor. It's hard to include every conceivable feature, for every possible user, particularly when designing hardware and some choices will significantly increase the cost, or add so much circuitry to make it very difficult to fit in the available space.
-One shot LFO mode
This may be possible to add in a future firmware update.
-Ability to blend dry signal in phase
-5 pin midi din connection to connect to midi switcher without a Kenton box
-Audio rate LFO speed ability for filter fm sounds
Noted. All of these increases the cost of the unit, though.