Wahoo Step Filter (Software)

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

WhoaBundy

Wahoo Step Filter (Software)

Post by WhoaBundy »

Hello to anyone who reads this!

I've recently purchased the Wahoo and thoroughly enjoy it (though I've barely scratched the surface). However, I just got to wondering if there is a way to program the Step Filter to create a sequence? As a reference, I know the Voodoo Lab Wahzoo has the ability to program pitches/steps (16 in total, if I remember correctly) that can be played back linearly in order once set. So I was wondering if Sonuus had the ability and I just missed it, or if it's in the works, or if it simply won't/can't ever happen? I think many people would love to have that kind of control with this pedal! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Also, I apologize if I placed this in the wrong forum! Total newbie!
james
Site Admin

Re: Wahoo Step Filter (Software)

Post by james »

Hello, and welcome to the forum! This is the correct place for such a question.

Currently, there isn't a step sequencer in the Wahoo. Although the Wahoo is clearly capable of doing this, it probably won't be added because there isn't space in the preset storage to store all the steps.

You can do it externally, though, using MIDI. You can send MIDI notes and the filter will set it's cutoff (approximately) to match the note frequency; or you can send filter cutoff and resonance controller messages; or you can simply set a lo/hi range and use a MIDI "expression" controller to step to the points in this range that you want.
WhoaBundy

Post by WhoaBundy »

Thanks for replying! I'm pretty new with MIDI, so I guess my next question is what kind of MIDI controller can I use? I'd prefer to use a Korg SQ-1 to sequence, but from what I've read, I'll need a USB MIDI Host? Will any USB MIDI connection work, or will it have to be a Kenton? It looks mostly straight forward but a more affordable option would be preferable. I just didn't know if any of the iConnectivity products would fit fhe bill. Sorry for all the noob questions!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Yes, you'll need a USB MIDI Host. Here are two other options that have been suggested by other users. I haven't tried these myself, but they should work ok:

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi- ... usb%20midi

http://compasflamenco.com/usb-host-midi ... anguage=en
JungleFalcon

Post by JungleFalcon »

So I guess this may be related in some way. One of my hopes for the Wahoo is inspired by my boss GT10b. There is a ring mod effect on there which aside from being a standard ring mod and be switched to "intelligent" mode (see page 117 https://medias.audiofanzine.com/files/g ... 476423.pdf) which tracks the pitch so you can get a delicious growly sub octave sort of sound. I love the effect and I had hoped that the pitch tracking within the Wahoo could be turned to such an application. Is this functionality available?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

We haven't tried this on the Wahoo, because the LFO speed is limited.

However, on the Sonuus Voluum, which has much faster LFOs we have experimented with using pitch-tracking to control the LFO to get octaver effects. It does work, but it's still experimental so not in the current firmware.
JungleFalcon

Post by JungleFalcon »

Wow, thanks for the super speedy response there! I hope that this makes it past the experimental stage I am excited!
CaBleman

Post by CaBleman »

james wrote:We haven't tried this on the Wahoo, because the LFO speed is limited.

However, on the Sonuus Voluum, which has much faster LFOs we have experimented with using pitch-tracking to control the LFO to get octaver effects. It does work, but it's still experimental so not in the current firmware.
YES +1 ;)