ER 1 - Wahoo stopped working

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

Hont

Re: ER 1 - Wahoo stopped working

Post by Hont »

I have a similar issue to the one described in this thread. The only difference being that I sometimes get an Err 5 when the pedal starts. Whether I get Err 1, Err 5 or no error the sound is not right (but slightly better through USB power than mains. Hope you can help.

Thanks
Rob
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

It does sounds like a similar problem. The fact you are not always getting the error, or a different error, suggests that the power supply voltage on the analogue board is low, but not low enough to always get the same error -- it's near the threshold of "working".

I suspect it's the same problem with the resistor R123 described above.

We can repair this for you, or authorise you to do this yourself without any impact on the warranty.
Hont

Post by Hont »

Thanks for the help James. I do have some experience of soldering (but nothing this small). I attach a picture of the board as I can't see any signs of broken solder on that side. If you can clearly see what I need to do I might have a go otherwise I'm probably best off returning it to you.
Attachments
Sonuus.jpg
Sonuus.jpg (249.06 KiB) Viewed 7467 times
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Do you have a multimeter to measure resistance? If so, measure R123 to see what it is. This should be 4.7 ohms, but I've seen it much higher when that resistor fails.

I suspect you just need to replace this resistor. You can do this with a larger thro-hole resistor connected between the pins that you can see R123 is connected between. You won't then need to remove R123. For a simple test, just solder a wire between these two pins (short-circuit R123). Everything should work, you just won't have as much filtering for the power to the analogue electronics.
Hont

Post by Hont »

Hi James. I tried soldering a wire between the two pins and it did indeed fix the problem. So I just need to replace this wire with a 4.7 ohm resistor, correct? Any particular type or wattage?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

That's good news.

No particular type of resistor is required. Regarding wattage, it's best to use 1/4W (0.25W) or higher, although 1/8W (0.125W) should probably be ok too. Remember you can parallel resistors if it helps: 2x 10 ohm, 1/8W resistors in parallel will act as a 5 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor - this can be useful if you can't find 4.7 ohm (or 5.1ohm, which would be ok too).
Hont

Post by Hont »

Hi James. Maplins had a resistor that did the job perfectly (for the princely sum of 10p) and so, despite my third rate soldering, I now have a fully functioning Wahoo pedal again. :D

Many thanks for the assistance, much appreciated.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

That's great news :-)

I am very pleased you could fix it yourself - I like to encourage people to explore the fun of electronics!
Hont

Post by Hont »

Well it wasn't fun when a blob of solder fell onto the circuit board, but there's nothing like cold sweat to make you feel alive. ;)
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Exactly, keeps you on edge :D

But if you'd had a problem, I would have fixed it for you anyway even if you'd blobbed solder all over it!