Effects Loop Modification

For the Wahoo™ Dual-Analogue, Digitally-Controlled Wah/Filter Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

skunkbunk

Effects Loop Modification

Post by skunkbunk »

I've been looking into filter pedals for quite a while now and I love all the features and engineering put into the Wahoo. The only thing that's kept my from purchasing one is the omission of an effects loop insert between the envelope sensing circuit and the filter sections. Other envelope following filter effects such as the 3Leaf Audio Wonderlove/Chromatron, the WMD Fatman/Protostar and the Electro-Harmonix Q-tron+ incorporate this in order to preserve the dynamics of the unaffected signal for the envelope follower. The signal can then be sent to a dynamics squashing saturation effect such as distortion or fuzz before being sent back into the filter section. The added high-frequency content leads to a more pronounced filtering effect than would be created with just the dry instrument signal alone.

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to modify the Wahoo to incorporate this feature. It no doubt features surface mounted devices (SMD) on its circuit board, which I could likely work with. But more importantly, I'm curious if there would be enough empty space inside the enclosure to fit two mono send/return sockets, a single TRS send/return socket, or even a single 3.5mm TRS send/return socket (if space was very limited).

I understand this would void any warranty Sonuus provides, and would assume all responsibilities in the event of a damaged unit.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! :D
james
Site Admin

Re: Effects Loop Modification

Post by james »

That's an interesting idea, and I'm happy to help you.

I'll send you a PM and we can dicusss in more detail off-line. I'll need to dig into the design and work out what might be possible.