Inverted Bathtub swell/fade type thing

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

Jonners

Inverted Bathtub swell/fade type thing

Post by Jonners »

Trying to find a way to do this. I can get the fade in working well using the envelope, and I can get close to what I want with a slow trapezoid LFO, but I really want a fade in on envelope trigger, with a fade out at the end.

I probably need to do the fade out externally though, to get the retrigger.

There you go, software enhancement, a fade-in fade-out option. Triggered on the envelope, and with the pedal setting the hold time. That's what I really want.

Meanwhile - any ideas?
Jonners

Re: Inverted Bathtub swell/fade type thing

Post by Jonners »

Just worked out what it is I am seeking. AHDSR - a hold at the top before the decay.

Not sure if anyone else would want to use it, but it is a useful feature when you do want it!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. You want a hold before the decay stage.

Currently, this isn't possible. I was trying to work out if something similar can be done just now, but I don't think it can be done easily.

How do you transition from hold to decay? Is it after a certain time?
Jonners

Post by Jonners »

Thanks. Yes, in the example I know of (a synth) if the hold is engaged it is fixed time (set via the 'hold' control).

I'm playing around at the moment. Exploring ideas. Great to have your feedback, thank you.

The one thing I have not yet managed is to control the voluum via midi.

I'm using Propellerheads Reason, just becasue I've got it, and normally I set up an 'External Midi Instrument' in Reason, select the midi interface (the Voluum in this case) and I can assign a CC to the rotary knob on the Reason panel, which then drives the device. But I have tried CC4 for the footswitch, and 7 for the volume (after specifying it in the editor) but nothing happens.

I'm missing sometihng, but I don't know what.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Do you have the "control" set to MIDI on the volume effect?

If so, check the Midi-In channel - set to Omni, or the channel you are using in Reason.
Jonners

Post by Jonners »

Yes, MIDI channel to Omni (also tried it on 1, as that's what I'm sending on) and MIDI as the control.

I've got everything else off (Compressor, gate, envelope and limiter). If I play something on the guitar and switch between Pedal and MIDI, it just cuts it on MIDI, whatever I do with CC7 (I tried CC1 too, sending the Mod wheel from Reason, but that didn't work either).

Just to check, should the 'Effect Enable' setting on the MIDI tab can be off, because I'm not using MIDI to enable the effect? I'm using CC 7 to control it, but that is set on the Edit | Volume tab, as I understand it.

I guess it's not receiving the MIDI, but I have done this with other devices OK, so I'm a bit lost as to where to look.
Jonners

Post by Jonners »

OK, solved it. I've had something like this before. The problem was selecting MIDI control on the Voluum after I'd created the device in Reason.

This time I selected MIDI on the Voluum, and then recreated my Ext MIDI Inst in Reason. It seems to have reset itself.

Another layer of fun opens up ...
Jonners

Post by Jonners »

Meanwhile, I have created an AHDSR. A very expensive one. I have a synth with AHDSR envelopes, and it takes an external audio input. Now the problem with synths and audio in is that there is nothing to trigger the envelope (they don't do any kind of gate function on the input).

Step up to the plate the G2M! By using the G2M to provide the gate function, but turn off the synth oscillators, I can put the guitar audio through the synth features. That is a really useful feature of the G2M. My first trial was only moderately successful as the synth wants a line level external audio, not instrument level, but I can fix that with a preamp.

Next step is to plug the Voluum into the synth to use the pedal to control the hold time.

By the way, James, many years ago I was involved in a software project and when we came to review it a year into use, we found the users were using it completely differently to how we expected, and they loved things we hadn't even thought about. Are you feeling like that right now?

What you have given us here is the scope to experiment and explore sonic possibilities. Great products.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Fantastic!
By the way, James, many years ago I was involved in a software project and when we came to review it a year into use, we found the users were using it completely differently to how we expected, and they loved things we hadn't even thought about. Are you feeling like that right now?
Very much so. Many of the recent firmware updates in the Voluum came from user requests who wanted to use the Voluum in more ways than we had anticipated.
What you have given us here is the scope to experiment and explore sonic possibilities. Great product
Thank you. That was the intention.