MIDI Question

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

phaedrus

MIDI Question

Post by phaedrus »

Hi
If I'm syncing BPM via MIDI, can the volume send and receive at the same time and also alternative between being master and slave.

Apologies if this doesn't make sense - I've only done a few things with MIDI and that's only on my PC, external sequencer and digital desk.

I'll explain.
I have the TC triple delay and would like to sync BPM'S.
So if I connect the voluum MIDI out to the TC'S MIDI in, then would the TC's BPM change with what the BPM of the voluum when changing to a new preset or manually entering it?

Also vice versa by connecting the other way around. If I tap in a delay speed on the TC would that change the volume's BPM?

Finally what would happen if both connection were made, or would I have to have just the 1 pedal as master and the other as slave?

I wish I knew more about MIDI as I'm guessing that the volume's treadle could also be used like an expression pedal for other pedals?

Hope that makes sense, cheers
Tony
james
Site Admin

Re: MIDI Question

Post by james »

Hi Tony,

Sorry the delay in replying to this.

The Voluum doesn't (currently) generate MIDI Clock, so it can't act as a timing master. However, I can see that this could be very useful. I've added it to the list of feature requests.
So if I connect the voluum MIDI out to the TC'S MIDI in, then would the TC's BPM change with what the BPM of the voluum when changing to a new preset or manually entering it?
So now this won't work because the Voluum doesn't send MIDI clock so it can't control the TC.
Also vice versa by connecting the other way around. If I tap in a delay speed on the TC would that change the volume's BPM?
Yes, this does work. You need to set the LFO "tempo clock" to "MIDI Sync" so it will use the MIDI timing information.
Finally what would happen if both connection were made, or would I have to have just the 1 pedal as master and the other as slave?
Best to have one as a master and the other as a slave. Now, because the Voluum can't be a timing master you don't have to worry about it.
I wish I knew more about MIDI as I'm guessing that the volume's treadle could also be used like an expression pedal for other pedals?
Yes, the Voluum will act as a MIDI expression pedal for other pedals. You can also configure which MIDI controller this sends: e.g., expression, volume, modwheel, etc.
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Thanks James

Turns out I know more about MIDI than I thought. It's just been a while.

So my TC delay doesn't generate a Word Clock either.

I can use my DAW interface, my sequencer or certain rack gear.
Unfortunately none of this goes on stage or even to my rehearsal space, although some of it might in the future.

So, if you could add it to the suggestions list, it would be appreciated!

I'm thinking that list is pretty huge and some ideas may be impractical or other variables like processing power, current (amperage) limitations, man power etc, means that it's not possible to implement everything. So I was wondering if you had any news as to what features we can expect to see and use in the future?

I've read there is a beta release being tested by some forum members, so are there any accompanying release notes?

By the way, just being able to ask what my product do next to the manufacturer is awesome.

Apologies if this has been elsewhere requested.

Cheers
Tony
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I added this to the list of requests. I've not checked details, but I don't think there will be any major problems adding this.

There is a beta Voluum firmware, but it's not been officially released. Only to a few select testers. The main changes are some bug fixes, and new "classic" tremolo modes letting you more easily emulate some classic tremolo sounds. We need to tidy this up and get it released!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Major MIDI udpates for the Voluum in the latest beta firmware. See this post for more info:

http://forum.sonuus.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 4710#p4710