MIDI Sync Problems

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

phaedrus

MIDI Sync Problems

Post by phaedrus »

Hi
I've been using a variety of different ways to MIDI sync the Voluum to other devices, just for MIDI clock.
It did work for a while, then when I added my H9, I couldn't get the Voluum to sync at all. So I went back to a previous known working setup and that too didn't work.
I'm probably just forgetting something....

I've verified I'm getting MIDI clock by attaching the same MIDI source clock to another device and it works ok.

Hopefully, someone can help. Technicalities such as this frustrate and hinder the creativity!!

I can work around it, but would like to redo my pedal board and need this to work so I can sort out the layouts etc.

Thanks in advance

Tony
james
Site Admin

Re: MIDI Sync Problems

Post by james »

In your preset, is the LFO "tempo clock" set to "MIDI sync"?
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Hi James
Yes, tempo clock is set to MIDI sync.

Oh, BTW, I'm getting no Trem at all when set to this
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

It sounds like the Voluum is not receiving the MIDI clock for some reason. Certainly that would stop the trem.

Does the MIDI out work as a through when you send MIDI to the Voluum and this is echoed to the out? That's the best way to be sure the voluum is actually getting the MIDI -- if it doesn't receive it internally, it can't sent it back out. You'll need to make sure the "5-pin MIDI thru" option is enabled on the editor for this to work.

Does other MIDI work when sent to the Voluum? Program change for example.
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Ah, good idea, thanks.
The MIDI through does work. Sending a MIDI clock into the Voluum and using MIDI Thru to my delay works fine.

Also, Yes, program changes work fine via an OC-10 MIDI/pedal switcher.

When I had it working I could use the OC-10 to switch amp channels and multiple pedals' presets. Then with a flip of a switch on the OC, MIDI Clock was sent to delay, H9 and Voluum.

Although during this MIDI Clock test I've been connecting directly.

Maybe its something I changed in the editor?
I have the LFO set to MIDI, rather than Pedal or Envelope.

In the MIDI tab, MIDI in is set to Omni. Footswitch controller is off as are all the 'Effect Enable Controllers'

I wonder if this has anything to do with the lastest firmware. Now I think about it, I don't remember it working after the update that has the on board tuner. I can try an older release....

MIDI out is set to channel 1, expression controller is set to 7 volume and both the send program changes and 5 pin MIDI Thru are On.

I'm getting MIDI send light on the editor, but nothing on the receive channel.
Last edited by phaedrus on Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Can you please upload a ".all" file from the Voluum editor (this saves all presets and all settings)? I will try to replicate it here to see if I can reproduce the problem.
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Ok. fixed it by using the very 1st firmware release. I'll update until I find the release that stops it working
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thank you. If you find this, please try to work out what's causing it (or send me the all file). If it's a bug, it needs to be corrected.
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

It seems the bug is from 1.2 onwards.
Using 1.1 works fine.

At least I can sort my board out now, whilst you figure out the fix.

Cheers
Tony
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Hi Tony,

I have checked this and found the cause. It's a side-effect of a new feature added in 1.2.00.

The problem is to do with LFO phase. MIDI clock is 24 pulses per quarter note, so when this is free running we have no way to synchronise the start of the LFO with the start of a bar. Thus each time you play you get something slightly different.

The change was added to more closely follow the MIDI specification so that MIDI start/continue messages are required before the LFO will update. So the MIDI clock provides the timing, but the MIDI start message signals the bar start and acts as the synchronisation point. Now when the LFO is sync'd you get exactly the same waveform in time with your sequence. This is particularly useful for slow LFOs where the timing between the LFO position and the song is more important. It also means you now have a "phase" option on the LFO when sync'd to MIDI.

If you only send MIDI clock, and no start message, the LFO won't move. Can you send a MIDI start message?

I've pondered various options for this, but I'm not sure what is the best alternative solution. I don't want to introduce undesired side-effects. Useful to see what you (and others) think...

(1) Add a timeout -- if no start/continue has been received free-run the LFO. Although this might mean you can't sent a MIDI stop to pause the LFO. How long should the timeout be, 24 pulses (one quarter note), 96 pulses (4 quarter notes)? For slow tempos the timeout might be rather long if done like this.

(2) Add an option in the editor to "require start/continue" messages. If not set, you get the old behaviour.

(3) Something else I haven't though of?