Receiving MIDI Preset Changes

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

jcamelio

Receiving MIDI Preset Changes

Post by jcamelio »

Greetings, I am seeking help with setting up my Voluum to receive MIDI preset changes from a Crocodile Tail Loop. The MIDI map from the Tail Loop is as follows;

Button = Preset
1 = 0
2 = 1
3 = 2
...etc

I am unable to edit this sequence coming from the Tail Loop.

I have set up the "User Presets" on the Voluum in the configuration I need to align with the change messages coming from the Tail Loop. But, the Tail Loop is pointing to the F00, F01, F02 (Factory) presets.

How may I change the Voluum to only use the P00, P01, P02, (User) presets?

My sense is that I am missing something in the manual. I appreciate your advise.

Thanks, Jason
james
Site Admin

Re: Receiving MIDI Preset Changes

Post by james »

The problem is bank-selection. Does the Tail Loop send bank select?

On the Voluum, factory presets (F00-F99) are Bank0, and user presets (P00-P99) are Bank1.

If you change to bank1 (so you select a user-preset) a program change will then select a preset in the same bank (the Tail Loop will select P00, P01, etc).

Similarly, if you are on a factory Preset, so bank 0, the Tail Loop will select F00, F01, etc.

But, this only works if the Tail Loop is not sending a bank select to override the currently selected bank.
jcamelio

Post by jcamelio »

Hi James,

Thank you for this advice. It makes sense. The Tail Loop does not send Bank Select messages. Therefore, I will migrate the Factory Presets over to the User Presets. Then, I can alter the Factory Preset listing so that it aligns with the preset changes I select.

I will post again once I give it a try.

Best, Jason
jcamelio

Post by jcamelio »

Ah ha...my plan has been foiled. The software does not allow the user to modify the Factory presets. I am not able to overwrite the presets in bank "0". This would be the easiest solution. Do Sonuus have a workaround that will allow for me to overwrite the Factory presets?

Thanks, Jason
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The factory preset can't be overwritten because of how they are stored... there's not enough memory to have 200 writable presets.

I'm sure we could do something else. Is the problem just that you always send bank select 0, and you can't stop it?
jcamelio

Post by jcamelio »

Greetings,

Essentially, I am trying to use the most simple MIDI routing as possible. It is;

1. Crocodile Tail Loop ->
2. Eventide H9 (1) ->
3. Eventide H9 (2) ->
4. Voluum

The Loop sends only to bank 1 as mentioned (program button 0 = 1, 1 = 2, 2 = 3, etc). I am able to program the H9's with customized preset lists to activate effect changes. For example;

Button 0 on the Loop = 1 on the H9 (1). I moved Chorus to Preset 1.
H9 (1) is set to MIDI Thru and sends 1 to H9 (2), which have Digital Delay moved to Preset 1.
H9 (2) is set to MIDI Thru and sends 1 to Voluum...

My hope is to set Preset 1 to "x" effect on the Voluum.

The solution will be to have H9 (2) also send a "bank selection" change message to the Voluum and tell it to switch from Bank 1 to Bank 2.

I'm stumped as to how to do this as my MIDI skills are limited.

Do you have any idea how to get the H9 (2) to tell the Voluum to switch to Bank 2? I understand that this is technically not a Sonuus question, but I appreciate your advising.

Thank you, Jason
jcamelio

Solution: Receiving MIDI Preset Changes

Post by jcamelio »

Greetings,

I found the solution for selecting Bank 2 on the Sonuus Voluum with messages coming from an Eventide H9.

I connected the Voluum to my computer and launched the "Voluum" software. I toggled to the [midi] tab. Then, I selected the [footswitch controller] value list and toggled to the CC#32 program change. Selecting this defaults the pedal to [Bank 2] or User Presets P00 to P99.

This is allowing the MIDI Thru messages from the Crocodile Tail Loop to pass through two Eventide H9s to the Voluum and select the User Presets that I am creating/selected in the software.

Best, Jason
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

That's great you got it working. I'm not 100% sure why it works though!
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

HI there
Just come across this and I have a very similar setup, albeit, I used the OC-10 to change presets on both the Voluum, H9 and TC Triple Delay.
I also have it setup so that if want to tap tempo and sync all the pedals up via H9, by switching the ''mini MIDI toggle'' switch, from send to recieve, so the H9 sends MIDI clock through the OC-10 to all the othe MIDI pedals.

For this to work, the firmware needs to be one of the earlier releases, 1.1 or below.

There's always another NAMM....sigh!

Still, awesome pedal, and so handy to control and using the OC-10 and/or H9 !!

Tony
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

There is a new Voluum firmware (and editor) major update available now for beta testing. The new "setlist" mode should make selecting presets via MIDI easier.

Please see this forum post for more info and the download links:

http://forum.sonuus.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 4710#p4710