Voluum MIDI Expression per preset

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

nanooman

Voluum MIDI Expression per preset

Post by nanooman »

Am I correct in understanding that the Voluum cannot have preset specific expression settings?

Here is my configuration:
Boss ES-8 midi controller and looper > Wahoo > Strymon Timeline > Line 6 M5.

One preset selected from the Boss controller pulls up a Volume/Compression preset on the Voluum with no expression out.
The next preset should have the Voluum bypassed but acting as an expression pedal for the Timeline.
The third preset would have the Voluum bypassed but acting as an expression for the M5.

The M5 and Strymon also receive Midi expression on different channels, which would require preset specific Expression Controller settigns. If the Voluum can't work in this configuration, I'm crushed.

Jordan
james
Site Admin

Re: Voluum MIDI Expression per preset

Post by james »

You are correct, but having pre-preset expression settings is on our list of new features to be implemented.

Is this what you want to be able to do on each preset:

(*) be able to select if MIDI expression is to be sent, or not sent.

(*) be able to select the MIDI controller (or MIDI channel?) that is sent when expression is sent?
nanooman

Post by nanooman »

That's correct. Having the expression out always active assumes that you are only using the Voluum as an expression pedal at all times. Maybe I'm on preset 5 of my Voluum which is an LFO, and I go to change the speed with the pedal, oh crap my reverb decay just went crazy because the Voluum is still sending midi changes every time I touch it.

Although the changes suggested would make a whole lot more sense, I think I have a potential solution for my case. My Boss ES-8 can receive midi and translate it to another midi channel/value downstream. I've tried my best in a text editor to make a diagram

Receive on CH2 Receive Ch1 Receive CH2
Send CH1 Send CH2 MIDI Thru
VOLUUM ----------> BOSS ES-8 --------> STRYMON ---------------> BACK TO VOLUUM

Boss ES-8 receives CC001 on Channel 1, that value controls CC100 on Channel 2 out. <------ This I have tested successfully.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Ok, thanks for the update. We'll make this a high-proprity request because I think it's important to have this level of control.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Overriding the MIDI channel and MIDI controller for the expression pedal can now be done in the latest Voluum firmware (currently available for beta testing)

We have not yet added a "do not send MIDI expression" option. My preferred option is to have this in the global midi settings (an "off" option), rather than having an off option per-preset... any thoughts on this one?

Please see this forum post for more info and downloads:

http://forum.sonuus.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 4710#p4710
nanooman

Post by nanooman »

Wow that's a lot of update in that release! Yeah I think this makes good sense. It will be more useful to switch between a patch with no expression and a patch with.

The sending of midi via waveform is too cool. I'm going to find a use for that!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I'll add the "expression off" option in the next update.

Have fun!
jdbenge

Post by jdbenge »

Hi. My question relates to this. Rather than start a new thread I thought I'd add to this one.

Can you change what MIDI channel that CC messages are sent on a per Preset basis?

I want to control my Strymon Mobius and Source Audio Nemesis delay expression with MIDI from the Voluum.

So on Preset 1 of the Voluum I want control the Depth knob on my Mobius. I'd need to send CC#18 on MIDI Channel 1 (Mobius) and use the Voluum pedal to control the value of 0-127.

Then on Preset 2 of the Voluum I want to control the Mix on my Nemesis. I need to send CC#6 on MIDI Channel 2 and use the Voluum pedal to control the value of 0-127.

In the former posts it sounds like this is possible but I want to make sure. Will this work?

Thanks!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Yes you can do this.

You can also limit the range of values that the pedal sends, for example preset1 could sent 0-127, and preset2 could sent 0-70 (or whatever else you want).
jdbenge

Post by jdbenge »

This is exactly what I need. Thanks for the reply!