Voluum as Custom Rhythmic Sequencer: Possible approaches?

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

AlexS

Voluum as Custom Rhythmic Sequencer: Possible approaches?

Post by AlexS »

Hey there,

I've come to discover the Voluum this morning through one of Tom Quayle's videos and I'm super excited about it!

Here's my question: I plan on using the Voluum as a kind of sequencer. I would hook it up to my Macbook via MIDI and create some custom rhythmic patterns in my DAW (Ableton Live), similar to what a Boss SL-20 Slicer does (like so: https://youtu.be/BgkZDox3t2A?t=1m45s ).

What approach / MIDI Control Message would you choose for this? Controlling MIDI On / Off of the Volume? Or are there better, more flexible approaches, to e.g. make either hard clipping or smoother transitions?

Thanks a lot!

All the best
Alex
james
Site Admin

Re: Voluum as Custom Rhythmic Sequencer: Possible approaches

Post by james »

I'm pleased to hear you found the Voluum -- Tom's video was great!

I think there are a few different ways to do this. One us to use the LFOs on the Voluum to create the basic rhythmic pattern and use MIDI to automate this (you can vary tempo with MIDI clock, and set "hi" and "lo" values of each parameter that can be swept with a single MIDI controller.

Or you could do everything with MIDI and send MIDI volume (like you suggest). Here you would use the "volume" effect and set the min and max volume levels that you want and the MIDI controller will let you move freely between these levels. The hardness and smoothness of this can be controlled simply by adjusting how smoothly the MIDI volume messages are sent (you can draw a smooth curve and send that, for example).

If you wanted easy control of smooth volume, you can enable "fade" and just sent on/off MIDI control. The volume will then smoothly fade from on to off over the time you set (in 100ms increments). You can also change the shape of how this fades to vary how the transition sounds. This way you can just focus on the on/off timing points in the sequence and let the Voluum take care of the transitions.
AlexS

Post by AlexS »

Hey James,

thank you for your detailed and quick response! Consider me sold - I've just ordered the Voluum and a Terrasoniq MIDI One Interface and can't wait to try these different approaches. Using the LFO seems more appropriate when using consistent rhythmic patterns, the "volume" effect by contrast should be better when creating more complex patterns.

Thanks for the advice with the volume curves and the fades - I'll certainly start experimenting with that (in conjunction with my Strymon Timeline)!

It's been years now that I've been looking for an easy and highly customizable approach to guitar sequencing, but all the options up to now (Boss SL-20, Strymon Mobius in Pattern Mode, Goatkeeper) didn't really give me the flexibility that I can achieve by simply drawing in curves into my DAW. This is a dream come true!

Thanks again, best wishes!
Alex
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Hi Alex,

Thanks for buying the Voluum. Please let us know how you get on and let me know if you need any more help when you get it.

James
Owen

Post by Owen »

Sorry to hijack this thread but it seems to be closest to what I am looking for.

I am using a Boss slicer but would like to have a midi clock source which is not a laptop. Will the Voluum do midi clock output?

I would also like to use it as a midi controller pedal for a filter pedal. Is this my one stop shop?

Thanks and sorry for asking what are probably stupid questions on a public forum!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Hi Owen,

Your questions are certainly not stupid.

Right now, the Voluum can't output MIDI clock. But this is planned in the next firmware update (estimated to be available in August).

The Voluum can output MIDI control messages using the pedal. We plan to add more features to this in the next firmware update too.
Owen

Post by Owen »

That looks like the pedal for me then! I will go and flog my Moog LPF and reclaim some board space as well. Win/Win!

Thanks for responding so quickly and completely.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Great :D

Let us know if you need any help or more info.
Owen

Post by Owen »

Finally flogged my Moogerfooger and bought a Voluum. It should be here on Tuesday. I notice that the firmware update is out so hopefully I can use it as a midi clock for my Boss Slicer and also as a midi controller for filters in my Future Impact pedal. I am quite excited!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Cool... please let us know how you get on :D