Voluum as a MIDI expression pedal

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

kpoole

Voluum as a MIDI expression pedal

Post by kpoole »

I'm interested to know whether the following is possible...

I have the Sonuus Voluum set up in my rig so that it is receiving MIDI PC messages from an RJM Mastermind Pedal Board Controller (PBC). This works well because I can place the Voluum in the signal path at an insert point between Loops 6 and 7 - after all my gain pedals and some modulations and before my other modulations, delays and reverbs in Loops 7-10. It's in the perfect position for what I need and, because of the MIDI functionality of the Voluum, it doesn't require a Loop position in the PBC.

I currently have a Mission Engineering RJM SP-1 expression pedal which, patched through the PBC, enables me to use it to interact with all the knobs on my Strymon Mobius, BigSky and TimeLine pedals. But, though it's relatively new, it's already starting to get 'scratchy' - something the Voluum won't have an issue with (brilliant design that it is).

So, I'm wondering this...can I get the Voluum to both receive PC messages from the PBC and to send CC messages back to the PBC (via the Voluum MIDI Out port) which can then be linked to the Strymon pedals? Is it possible for the Voluum to function with the treadle only sending MIDI CC messages - not changing any settings on the Voluum itself? Seems a bit convoluted and, I'm guessing, it will stretch my limited facility with MIDI but it would be a perfect solution. The Voluum is already pretty well-employed in my set-up - being able to do this as well would make it the centrepiece of the whole thing.

Failing this - what's the likelihood of Sonuus creating an expression pedal using your InfiniQ sensor design with MIDI/multiple audio jacks to connect to a range of pedals? Source Audio make something like this which I'd consider for this purpose but it uses the standard pots and so its likely to start getting scratchy about as quickly as the Mission Engineering pedal did...
james
Site Admin

Re: Voluum as a MIDI expression pedal

Post by james »

Have you seen this post: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1567

It's a beta-test firmware update for the Voluum that includes lots of MIDI enhancements. It would be very valuable to us if you had a look at this and reported back on any problems/suggestions. If includes lots of features suggested by Voluum users.

You can make the Voluum act as only an expression pedal by creating a preset with all the effects off, or where none of the effects had "pedal" as the control.

Alternatively, the MIDI expression will work when the effect is bypassed, but you probably want to set the Voluum so the treadle doesn't enable the effect if you do this (pedal effect enable = Disabled).

It's good to hear you like the InfiniQ sensor -- it does work very well! We have considered making just an expression pedal using our sensor, but for now we're trying to get as much as possible into the Voluum.