External Midi Footswitch for Tap Tempo (Tap Tempo Only!)

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

Etienne

External Midi Footswitch for Tap Tempo (Tap Tempo Only!)

Post by Etienne »

Hi there,

Love the Voluum!

I need to tap tempo for a x2 square trem to sync to a live human drummer.

I have tried the rocking-the-pedal option, which did work but was pretty uncomfortable (as I need to keep doing this for quite a while), and as I'd like someone to do this for me on stage ideally a dedicated tap tempo footswitch would serve me better (run the cable to side-stage for instance).

As I don't use midi anywhere else on my setup I was only looking for a one switch, small footprint square thing (such as the ones once used pre-USB-era as sustain pedals for digital pianos) but could not find anything. Does what I am looking for exist at all? Would a TRS 6.35mm pedal work with a TRS to 5 pin din adapter? Supposing I do find one, would it work in the way I imagine?

Any advice much appreciated, thanks a lot.
james
Site Admin

Re: External Midi Footswitch for Tap Tempo (Tap Tempo Only!)

Post by james »

If you look in the Voluum user manual, you can add 2 external footswitches using spare pins on the MIDI-Out. You will need to make up a special cable to do this.

These two switches are shown as "up" and "down" in the manual, but they can be assigned to various tasks, including tap temp (in the latest firmware, version 1.5.x).
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Awesome, thanks a lot James!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sorry final question before I get the soldering iron out!

Say I have a BOSS FS-5U (non-latch single footswitch), which has a mono TS connector.

The special cable would be: Jack Tip to either leftmost or rightmost pin on the Midi side, Jack Sleeve to center pin?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Yes, that's the correct way to wire it up.