Sending MIDI CC, MSB, and LSB to other devices

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

jdbenge

Sending MIDI CC, MSB, and LSB to other devices

Post by jdbenge »

Hi Sonuus! I've had my Voluum for a few weeks now and I'm really enjoying it.

I recently purchased an Elektron Analog Drive and I want to use the Voluum to send MIDI CC messages to control the Mid Freq of the Analog Drive. To do this, Elektron requires MSB and LSB messages be sent.

From the Analog Drive user manual:

.................CV-mode:..10 bits..7 in MSB..3 in LSB.....MSB=64 equals 0 V
Expression pedal mode:...9 bits..7 in MSB..2 in LSB
...................MIDI CC:...8 bits..7 in MSB..1 in LSB

MIDI CC Parameter.....CC MSB....CC LSB
............Mid Freq...........18..........50
............Expression Mid.....1..........33

Admittedly, I'm a MIDI newbie. I have used the Voluum software to send MIDI CC messages to Source Audio and Line 6 pedals with success, but they haven't required MSB and LSB messages. I can't seem to figure out what CC to send to the Analog Drive to control the Mid Freq. Can anyone give me some insight what settings of the Voluum I should use to meet the MSB and LSB requirements of the Analog Drive?

Thanks,
Jon
james
Site Admin

Re: Sending MIDI CC, MSB, and LSB to other devices and how t

Post by james »

MIDI CC messages have 7-bits of data (0-127). However the MIDI spec allows the first 32 controllers to be combined with the next 32 controllers as a MSB/LSB pair to give you a 14-bit controller.

The Voluum expression pedal will do this by default. In the latest firmware you have more control over this. You need to use the Voluum editor to configure it. On the MIDI tab, make sure you don't select "send only 7-bit controller", then select one of the 14-bit "coarse" controllers (these are the first 32 MIDI controllers). When you do this the Voluum will automatically send both the MSB (coarse) and LSB (fine) controllers.

I assume the Analog Drive will ignore extra bits in the LSB, so if the Voluum sends 14-bits, the Analog Drive might only use 10 of those in CV mode, etc.
jdbenge

Re: Sending MIDI CC, MSB, and LSB to other devices

Post by jdbenge »

Thanks for the reply James. I'll verify I have the latest firmware.

I think I understand the theory but not how to set up the preset in Voluum Desktop.

So if I wanted to control the Mid Freq knob on the Analog Drive, which is:
MSB: 18
LSB: 50

How would I setup the Voluum Desktop preset?

Under the edit tab, on the right top is where I've been editing it.
I changed the MIDI out ch to match the Analog Drive.
What do set the expression ctrl to? Do I set it to 18 to match the MSB? What do I do with the 50 for the LSB?
I understand the range function.

Thanks for the help!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Under the edit tab, on the right top is where I've been editing it.
I changed the MIDI out ch to match the Analog Drive.
What do set the expression ctrl to? Do I set it to 18 to match the MSB? What do I do with the 50 for the LSB?
Yes, this is correct, set the controller to 18. Don't forget to also check the MIDI tab and make sure that "send only 7-bit controller" is OFF (otherwise it will not send the full 14-bit controller) under the "expression pedal" section.

The Voluum will automatically send the LSB in controller 50 (50 = 18 + 32) as described by the MIDI specification. (Assuming you've not enabled "send only 7-bit controller" mentioned above.)
jdbenge

Post by jdbenge »

I tried this last night and it worked great. Thanks for your help.

The voluum is probably the most versatile pedal on my board. I love this thing.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Great :-)

And I'm very pleased you love the Voluum -- it makes all our hard work worth it!
Chrisprice

Post by Chrisprice »

Wohey, big thumbs up to JDBenge and sonuus!,
Ive been looking to do something with the voluum and thought hey i wonder if i could have it control the mid section on a big muff deluxe.

But thatd mean investing in a midi to cv converter and i have no idea if thatd work...

Im a newbie to midi, but very cool that the elektron drive has a similar feature which is controlable by the voluuum.

Id love to hear some examples! if not good work and thankyou.