MIDI CC and volume

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

finleysound

MIDI CC and volume

Post by finleysound »

I have a Voluum preset using incoming MIDI CC to control the volume level. However, I'm a bit confused as to how the MIDI CC numbers (0-127) scale to the volume effect (-99 to +40). Is the range of the volume effect constrained between the hi and lo values of each Voluum preset? Or does MIDI CC override these values? Thank you.

Matt
james
Site Admin

Re: MIDI CC and volume

Post by james »

If you set the Volume effect to be controlled by MIDI (using the editor) the MIDI controller will sweep the volume between the min and max volume level (in dB) that you have selected. In other words, the MIDI controller acts as if it were a remote footpedal - so if you setup the volume effect how you want using the pedal, switching to MIDI control will give you the same volume range.

Also, the shape of the volume variation depends on the "response curve" you have selected.

You can't override the level settings, or response curve, you have selected using a MIDI controller. Just think of it as a remote foot pedal control.
finleysound

Post by finleysound »

That makes sense. I was hoping the level values were absolute instead of relative so I could use one Voluum preset as a programmable boost (sending the appropriate MIDI CC value on a song by song basis for the desired boost or cut). Of course, I know this functionality is available using separate Voluum presets. I’m just looking for alternate methods to accomplish the same result.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

You can probably do this simply by setting a wide range on the Volume level. If you use a 14-bit controller (this combines two 7-bit controllers to get more resolution) you will still have very fine control over the level - although 7-bits is probably good enough anyway. Just set the controller to the volume you want per song.