Button installation

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

triplanetaary

Button installation

Post by triplanetaary »

I recieved by international mail a replacement switch for my Voluum. Cheers Sonuus for being world class in support and follow through.

The switch is basically standard non latching foot switch. simple to replace.

You do not have to go to any special trouble to replace this switch. I used the method below to make it a future non issue. I can't be in a studio or stage and have it fail on me when what day and what city I am in I may be too tired or distracted to know.

I wish to suggest the following aftermarket replacement protocols: Decide on the height of the replacement switch. On the portion inside the unit adjust a screw on nut to the correct place. Fix the nut in place with Loctite or oil and add a smooth or toothed washer, I chose toothed. On the outside of the unit install a flat and or silicon washer and then affix the hex nut, Loctite can be used, you can install two nuts if you wish. I concluded that taking the load off of the lower plastic portion of the switch will make it less of a problem. It appeared that sideways pressure on my switch broke the shaft of the switch from the body. I found one nut holding the entire switch to the case from the outside. That may be an anomaly, but if not, mod your units by adding an inner nut immediately.
Well engineered units like Sonuus devices are intelligently overbuilt in ctitical areas, but they probably never locked one in a room with an idiot, and on some given day we all reach that status. So, this idiot has fixed hi switch, hopefully, for good.
james
Site Admin

Re: Button installation

Post by james »

Thanks for the wonderful description of how best to replace the footswitch.

I fully agree with what you've said. All footswitches should have a nut on the bottom to prevent stress on the plastic frame (i.e., the metalwork takes all the forces). The specification of the Voluum is to have two nuts: one inside and one outside. I hope yours was an anomaly. Any I have checked here have had both nuts in place.
triplanetaary

Re: Button installation

Post by triplanetaary »

I am betting it was an anomaly. I think though that leaving a few threads free on the inside will reduce replacement even more. The switch stands tall out of the case and and if the outer nut walks up a little, breakage could still occur. My preference was to sink the switch a bit and put a nut and a washer top and bottom. Replacement was simple and seeing the guts of the Voluum was a joy, it was as clean and tidy inside as outside.