Rattling sound coming from inside of Voluum

For the Voluum™ Digitally-Controlled Analogue Volume Effects Pedal

Moderators: johnmc, james

demigod0827

Rattling sound coming from inside of Voluum

Post by demigod0827 »

Just got my Voluum in the mail yesterday. Is it normal to hear a rattling sound when pressed toe-down? I plan to automate the Voluum using midi so I don't actually need to use the pedal, but I just want to make sure something isn't rattling that SHOULDN'T be. If I pick up the pedal and shake it I do not hear the rattling sound or any loose sounds. Below is a link to a video of the rattling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmMiEzxXDCg

Thanks
james
Site Admin

Re: Rattling sound coming from inside of Voluum

Post by james »

Thanks for posting the video - that's very clear!

There is metal shielding inside the Voluum, around the analogue circuit, to minimise noise. This makes a noise like this but it's usually much quieter. I wonder if this shield hasn't been soldered down correctly so it can vibrate much more than it should when you give it a physical shock.

You won't usually hear the noise when shaking because it doesn't give enough "shock" to the metal shield to make it vibrate.

How loud is the noise: did you need a lot of gain on the mic to pick it up, or does it sound like a crash cymbal!
demigod0827

Post by demigod0827 »

It's not crazy loud but it's definitely noticeable if I'm playing guitar in my bedroom at a comfortable volume. If I'm playing semi-loud with distortion it's not noticeable. It sounds like it's nothing too serious that I have to worry about. :) I will be controlling this pedal 100% with midi so the noise is not an issue to me. I'm glad to hear that at least some amount of this noise is normal.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Yes, it shouldn't be a problem. If later you think it has become worse, or any other problems, just let us know.