G2M/B2M with Sax live

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderator: sonuus

Re: G2M/B2M with Sax live

Postby jdsmusic » Sun May 19, 2019 2:34 pm

I am using the G2m on a tenor sax in a live environment with a Samson Airline wireless bell clipon mic. The Samson mic receiver has two outputs, one (XLR) goes into the mixing console. The other (1/4") is going to a noise gate with the output of the gate going into the G2m. The midi output is going into a Roland XV-5050 with Patchman Wind Controller patches.

I am using a patch for a horns section (trumpet, alto sax, trombone). For the most part it works but I occasionally get wrong notes derived. Can you please give me some tips to resolve this? The last post was back in September 2018 where reference was made to some additional testing. Was this ever done?

Thanks
JD
jdsmusic

Postby Windblower » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:13 pm

I saw a similar video but the sax guy was using a software solution meant for guitars. I tried his set up but found right off the bat that a mic is not the way to go if you are going to use the set up with an amp or in a band. His video was done in a studio, just like this one, and he had earphones on so there was no external monitor to mess with the midi transmission. I then ordered Piezo Barrel pick ups for my clarinet, tenor and alto. The software had too many settings and it was cpu intensive but I was about 75% satisfied. I still would not rehearse with the band with it as there were still too many false notes and notes hanging cause they didn't get the note off signal. I purchased the Sonuus G2Mv3 which is similar to the device in the video but it has the old din midi plug not usb. I found that the AA 1.5 v battery somehow supplied enough power to power my 5 pin din Wireless Midi Bluetooth Le dongle. That eliminated the need for a midi interface to ios or Mac. Have not noticed any latency. Started out testing with my clarinet and after setting it up for voice/wind and pitch range 2 I was amazed how well it tracked. Switching it to chromatic when using keyboard sounds is a must. If you are not in chromatic mode, I found that if the app does not allow matching the pitch bend to 2 then useably other ranges work. Bottom line, I would not suggest using a mic in a live setting. If you notice in this video there is no noticeable volume change on the midi side. That is my outstanding issue now. When plugged into a guitar with a piezo pick up with the same setting vol is picked up but when using a mic or piezo pickup on my clarinet vol is only sent at one volume level.
Windblower

Postby woodyeyes » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:54 pm

I got the G2M to use playing tenor sax in my very loud covers band. I play keys mostly.
I started off trying it with my sure wireless sax mic attached to the bell. This gave us problems with feedback (band too loud) but also I had lots of false triggering of the midi signal as the mic was picking up the drummer and bass player.
Then I read Windblower's comments above and checked out the piezobarrel pickup mic. Last month, by chance, I was near Brisbane so arranged to call in on Steve and purchased one of his piezobarrel mics. For me it is a vast improvement on using a traditional mic. Feedback issues have been eliminated and I have very few false triggers.
I send the piezobarrel signal into my xair12 mixer. I adjust the eq signal and send it via a volume pedal to the G2M. (So when I'm just playing keys I can turn off the G2M). The output from here goes into my Nord stage3 keyboard set up with a brass/organ patch. I can use the xair mixer to also add effects to the dry signal and with some reverb, delay and a touch of octave pitch down effect my solo tenor sax playing sounds as close to a full on brass section as I've so far managed to achieve. I use a volume pedal direct into the Nord so while playing sax I can mix in the volume of the keys with the sax.
I get a small, but acceptable latency effect with this set up.
All I need to do now is improve my sax technique. :roll:
woodyeyes

Postby Windblower » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:47 pm

After experiment with clarinet, alto and tenor with the same piezo pick up I find that the group I play with likes the tenor with a Hammond b3 type in the background. Then I also use a mic for acoustic reverb so I can move back and forth. If I blow very lightly I can get the b3 without too much tenor sound. I only use softsynths and have not been able to get a good believable horn section yet. Have the G2M on chromatic setting. I use the AE10 for a believable horn section. Moslty use Macbook software but I have gotten some good acoustic effects on the ipad latly. I send audio through to the ipad and midi to Mac.
Windblower

Postby gauripuri » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:55 am

very well explained..
gauripuri

Previous

Return to G2M™ Support