connecting to sibelius 7 running on windows 8

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

RichardG

connecting to sibelius 7 running on windows 8

Post by RichardG »

Wonder if anyone can help??

My son is trying to use his electric guitar for input to Sibelius 7 via the Sonuus G2M. Our PC is running Windows 8 and we have purchased a (two in fact) generic midi - to - usb cable. G2M is new & has a new battery, Guitar is connected to Guitar IN on G2M, midi OUT on G2M is connected to IN on midi - usb cable ( but all the same symptoms are present whether it's connected to IN or OUT), USB is connected to computer
Windows8 can see the cable and says it has all the right drivers and the cable is working correctly.
The Sonuus G2M lights up as it should when guitar is connected and gives a flickering light on the MIDI output indicator when guitar is played. Red LED is on at the cable but it also has green & orange lights which never illuminate.
Sibelius says it can see a connected input device but shows it as a keyboard, with no option to change it to anything else. When the guitar is played Sibelius does not see show any input.

Two different cables tried, with the same results

Everyone says this is an easy "plug & play" setup but we just can't seem to make this work or find any reason why it doesn't

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
james
Site Admin

Re: connecting to sibelius 7 running on windows 8

Post by james »

My son is trying to use his electric guitar for input to Sibelius 7 via the Sonuus G2M. Our PC is running Windows 8 and we have purchased a (two in fact) generic midi - to - usb cable. G2M is new & has a new battery, Guitar is connected to Guitar IN on G2M, midi OUT on G2M is connected to IN on midi - usb cable ( but all the same symptoms are present whether it's connected to IN or OUT), USB is connected to computer
The G2M MIDI OUT should be connected to the MIDI-USB cable MIDI IN (It won't cause harm connecting it to the MIDI-OUT, but it just won't work).
The Sonuus G2M lights up as it should when guitar is connected and gives a flickering light on the MIDI output indicator when guitar is played. Red LED is on at the cable but it also has green & orange lights which never illuminate.
That sounds like it's possibly working. What USB cable are you using? Do you know what the different LEDs mean? I'm assuming one is for MIDI out, and one for MIDI in, but what's the third one?
Sibelius says it can see a connected input device but shows it as a keyboard, with no option to change it to anything else. When the guitar is played Sibelius does not see show any input.
Sibelius showing the G2M as a keyboard is correct. The G2M appears as a standard MIDI device, so Sibelius won't know more than this and simply assumes it is a keyboard.

I don't have Sibelius to test how it should be set up. Maybe another user here can help with this?
andy

Post by andy »

Thank you for sharing to us.there are many person searching about that now they will find enough resources by your post.I would like to join your forum anyway so please continue sharing with us
:lol:
andy
GuadalupePhelps

Post by GuadalupePhelps »

james wrote:

The G2M MIDI OUT should be connected to the MIDI-USB cable MIDI IN (It won't cause harm connecting it to the MIDI-OUT, but it just won't work).

That sounds like it's possibly working. What USB cable are you using? Do you know what the different led lights mean? I'm assuming one is for MIDI out, and one for MIDI in, but what's the third one?

Sibelius showing the G2M as a keyboard is correct. The G2M appears as a standard MIDI device, so Sibelius won't know more than this and simply assumes it is a keyboard.

I don't have Sibelius to test how it should be set up. Maybe another user here can help with this?
Thanks for sharing this wonderful information.. I have never used Sibelius and now I will try to connect it with windows 8.. Hope the information will serve lot.. Thanks again