Sending patch change information (Ketron SD2)

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

crammedinabox

Sending patch change information (Ketron SD2)

Post by crammedinabox »

I am the proud owner of a Sonuus G2M pitch to midi convertor and a Ketron SD2 General Midi sound module . I am trying to find a solution to the following problem.
The G2M sends midi note on/off, pitchbend, velocity, etc. but is not capable of sending patch change information. It only transmits on Channel 1. As a result, I am only able to play the Grand Piano patch on the Ketron. So far the only workaround I have found is to record the midi stream into a sequencer that is capable of sending patch change information. This won't work for "live" looping and I hope to use the Ketron in a live act where I loop the parts. The Ketron could be perfect for Bass lines, Trumpet, Percussion, etc. (if I could only send patch change info along with the midi stream)

Can you think of a solution? I have heard of midi foot controllers. Do you know if they can be implemented somehow? Like the Roland FC-300. (p.s. - I hope to keep latency at a minimum).

Short of a solution incorporating the Ketron, I'd like to hear recommendation for other sound modules that might meet my needs.
james
Site Admin

Re: Sending patch change information (Ketron SD2)

Post by james »

I think you will need a MIDI foot controller, like you suggest, and a MIDI merger unit.

So, the G2M and the MIDI foot controller would connect to the MIDI merger, and the output of the MIDI merger would connect to the Kentron. Doing this would allow the foot controller to send patch-change messages to the Kentron, and the G2M will still be able to send the note messages as before.

There shouldn't be any additional latency as long as the MIDI footswitch is only sending MIDI messages when you do patch-changes.