Odd use with contact mics

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

Slabwax

Odd use with contact mics

Post by Slabwax »

So here is my question. I'm wanting to use a contact mic that is on a large-ish gong (32") then midi out of G2M into a Moog Minitaur. I'm not locking for fast tracking or a specific a note. I basically just want a trigger. I can control the pitch via a CV pitch input and expression pedal. Keep in mind that the gong is not stuck hard mostly slow soft tapping with soft mallet. Would the B2M be a better choice? I just need to rumble a room. :D

Thanks
james
Site Admin

Re: Odd use with contact mics

Post by james »

It is hard to be sure what will be best. Can you send me a short recording of the sound from the gong with the contact mic? I can then pass it through a G2M (and other things).

One problem might be that if the pitch of the gong changes much after you hit it, you may get several MIDI notes which would cause the Minitaur to retrigger notes, maybe.
Slabwax

Post by Slabwax »

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll order one and take my chances. If not on the gong I'm sure I'll find all sorts of other silliness for it. I'll report back in a few days.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

OK, let me know how you get on, and also what else you get up to with it!
Slabwax

Post by Slabwax »

Hi james,

Close but no cigar, as they say. I need some way to cut the sensitivity of the contact mic after an attack. It triggered perfectly but it just kept on triggering, and not smoothly. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
hareem

Post by hareem »

Ok thanks james :D

If you are looking for fast success in http://www.braindumps.net/ then join a+ to find complete security+ resources and pass www.ndm.edu certifications on first try. A person can pick Johnson University Florida and join Rasmussen College for its easiness.