D.O.A.?

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

Carley914

D.O.A.?

Post by Carley914 »

Yesterday I took my new Sonuus G2M out of the box and began my journey. I have now worked with it for for six hours and have not recorded the first note with it. My computer does not receive any type of electronic or midi communication from my unit at all. My little midi keyboard controller plugged right in and was able to start working within a minute. Unfortunately I am a guitar player and I desperately need for the G2M to work.

I have a new battery and a new midi to USB cord. My lights come on the box and say its working, but my computer does not see it or recognize it. It is like its not plugged in at all. Everything seems like its working, but nothing is showing up on my computer either in the software, the midi meter, or the device manager. I understand the G2M is plug and play like my little keyboard, but nothing is happening at all.

Is there anything else I can do to make it work? BTW, I am new to the G2M, but I have been doing midi for almost 30 years.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Carley914 on Mon May 26, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
james
Site Admin

Re: D.O.A.?

Post by james »

If the yellow MIDI light on the G2M if flashing it should be working. The only place the G2M could be defective is in the connection to the MIDI socket so that although it is sending MIDI, it's not getting to the MIDI cable. However, that is very uncommon. You may be able to check this: if you play guitar and someone else wiggles the MIDI cable going into the G2M, any bad connection may make & break and you will get occasional MIDI onto the MIDI cable.

We have also seen similar problems with defective MIDI cables. If you have another one of these, please try it.

Mostly likely the problem is with the USB MIDI cable you have. In fact you said your computer does not see it nor recognise it. Until you get this to appear as a USB-MIDI (or USB-Audio) device you won't be able to get anything from it. Does it need drivers to be installed?
Carley914

Post by Carley914 »

Thank you, James.

I am going to take it over to a friend's house this morning and try out his cord. If two new cords don't work, then we can look at the next step.

Thanks for your help.

c
Carley914

Post by Carley914 »

It seems that I forgot to follow my own advice to everyone troubleshooting anything: Always check the cheap stuff first.

It was the new cord, it was not the Sonuus G2M. It worked perfectly from the very first note. In fact it has inspired me to get going live with it, not just in the studio. I think my demo today will sell at least a couple more them right here in Orlando. I am glad I bought it.

I was wondering if Sonuus offers a driver download for the G2M? I noticed that my cord was just a cord and my friend's cord had a plastic box in the middle with the driver software built in.

Thank you for your help, James.

Remember everyone else, check the cheapest components first. :-)

c
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Great news. Thanks for letting us know.
Carley914

Post by Carley914 »

Does Sonuus have driver software to download?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The G2M doesn't have any drivers. It is a MIDI device, so there is no direct connection to a computer: to connect to a computer you need to connect it to a MIDI input that is connected to your computer (that MIDI input will have drivers, which may be part of the OS).

Our other products: i2M musicport, Wahoo, Voluum do have drivers, but they are built-in to the operating system so will be installed manually. The i2M musicport also has ASIO drivers for Windows (for the audio interface on the i2M) which can be downloaded from our software downloads area.