G2M Midi out to 2.5mm male jack question

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

JerryA

G2M Midi out to 2.5mm male jack question

Post by JerryA »

Hi, just received my G2M converter. I'd like to connect to a number of devices:
M-Audio unit which connects to a DAW on my PC. The M-Audi accepts guitar-cable plugs
Laptop (probably via midi-USB cable
Ipad

The cable that came with the G2M which connects to the midi out of the unit is 5pin midi on one end and 2.5mm male jack on the other end, which is too small for iPad headphone (it takes 3.5mm). Maybe iPhones take 2.5mm, I'm not sure.
Do I need a specific 5pin midi to 3.5mm cable, or a 2.5mm female to 3.5 male adaptor? This might allow me to use the G2M with my iPad. I have 3.5mm female to guitar male adaptor plugs so could conceivably piggyback 2.5 to 3.5 to guitar adapters to connect to M-Audio. (Sounds a bit messy). Do you know of specific cables?
Regards
JerryA
james
Site Admin

Re: G2M Midi out to 2.5mm male jack question

Post by james »

Where did you get the MIDI cable that goes from 5-pin MIDI to 2.5mm jack? That's not a standard cable. It sounds like a proprietary cable to connect MIDI to something that isn't large enough to hold normal MIDI jacks.

To connect to an iPad, you need a MIDI interface that can connect to the iPad's dock connector. Many USB MIDI interfaces will work like this using Apple's Camera Connection Kit -- but not all do, so you need to check.

Our i2M musicport is like the G2M but has a USB connection instead of MIDI. That can connect directly to an iPad using the Camera Connection Kit.