Open strings are out of tune with buznut string dampener

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

p8guitar

Open strings are out of tune with buznut string dampener

Post by p8guitar »

The open strings of my Variax are seriously out of tune with the buznut ("C"). You cannot play a chord without laughing...
The Variax doesn't have extremly low action, so I suppose this problem will occur with with most guitars.
It would be fair to mention this, so anyone could deliberate about whether he needs to play open strings or not before buying the buznut.
james
Site Admin

Re: Open strings are out of tune with buznut string dampener

Post by james »

We've never had this problem before, nor had it reported by any customer before.

When you are having tuning problems is the buznut in the "undamped" position, or the "damped" position? I'm assuming its in the damped position.

I've just done some tests to try this on a very low-action guitar I have here. There was no significant difference with the buznut fitted, or not fitted. Actually, the biggest variation was caused by how hard I was fretting the notes. This may be made more obvious with the buznut fitted and playing on the 2nd or 3rd frets: because the string is slightly higher with the buznut, there is a tendancy to fret harder which will cause the note to go sharp. But fretting with "normal" pressure, gives the same pitch with or without the buznut.