G2M on 9V dc (not battery)

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

Jonners

G2M on 9V dc (not battery)

Post by Jonners »

Just placed my order for a Wahoo, Voluum and G2M. Thinking of a Pedal Power digital for the pedals, but the other two outputs of the DC brick will also be used (Boss RC2 Looper and Akai Headrush)

The Boss RC2 Looper has a slave 9V slave out. I'm planning to use that for the G2M, see any problems?

I've also noted the comments about using a bypass switch and auto power off. Has that been looked at for V3?
james
Site Admin

Re: G2M on 9V dc (not battery)

Post by james »

Thanks for your order :-)

Just check the polarity of the power out of the Boss. Boss often use a non-standard polarity (tip negative, shield positive), but the G2M uses the more conventional tip positive, shield negative. The G2M is protected against this so it won't cause a problem if it's connected the wrong way, it just won't power up -- you might need to use a cable that reverses the wiring. The G2M doesn't take much current, so it should work with most 9V supplies without problems.

Watch for ground loops -- the 9V power ground is also the signal ground, so you could get ground currents flowing between the Boss looper and the G2M on both the power lines and on the audio grounds... that can cause hum. You won't know until you try it.

As a side note: the Wahoo and Voluum will work on any polarity power.

The auto-power off can be disabled using the newly added dip switches. But if you are using a 9V power supply, the auto-power off is not done -- it only applies to battery power.