Very audible zipper noise from THRU on G2M v3

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

null

Very audible zipper noise from THRU on G2M v3

Post by null »

I just received a G2M v3 and there is some kind of audible digital artifact being transferred via the THRU output. The noise occurs in tandem with the MIDI LED light ... I've attached a recording to demonstrate. This sound is audible when connected either to a guitar amp or DI. I have tried several cables/guitars etc to troubleshoot. Device is powered by battery. Is this a defect? I realise that with components being in such close proximity some level of crosstalk or whatever is unavoidable, but this is so high above noise floor that it renders the device p much unusable for my desired application (i.e. live guitar + MIDI triggered sounds).

http://vocaroo.com/i/s003bLo47WNk

Thanks.
Last edited by null on Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
null

Re: Very audible zipper noise from THRU on G2M v3

Post by null »

Just saw this thread from 2010 (!) which documents the same issue: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=318

I ought to mention that the clicking sound is audible whether or not a MIDI cable is connected. It is not attenuated by repositioning cables nor pre-buffering the guitar signal. Is there an email address I can contact for support/warranty claims? The unit was purchased directly from Sonuus' online store on Oct 24th and received on Wednesday 2nd Nov.
james
Site Admin

Re: Very audible zipper noise from THRU on G2M v3

Post by james »

Hello,

Sorry I didn't get a chance to reply yesterday.

Thanks for sending the audio file, it is very obvious and not something we have ever seen ourselves. Nor has it been reported on the new G2M (and only once on the older ones in the forum post you linked).

The circuit in the G2M is designed to separate the analogue and digital side as much as possible. Have you tried a 9V power supply or a different battery? I'm wondering if the battery is low maybe it is causing this -- but it's only a guess.

I'll send you a PM so we can discuss your order etc in more detail in private.