Connection THRU output kills MIDI

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

Stratman1957

Connection THRU output kills MIDI

Post by Stratman1957 »

using Midiplus mini engine with this GM2 V3.

http://www.musicoutletexpress.com/product/784514/

I have a stereo 1/8 jack to L/R female 1/4 into the Midiplus for the output using just Left (or right?).

What I really want to do is to route this to an A/B switch for the Midi sounds with a THRU connection so I can switch between them.

Without using the THRU, both my acoustic and electric work with the GM2 and the tone engine perfect. (running on AA, have not tried 9v)

Any time I add a cable between THRU to my A/B switch OR even another channel of an amp, the GM2 stops sending valid MIDI and I hear just random noise coming out the tone engine. When I try to just listen to the THRU, there is some popping and static noise there too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... ctor-pedal

I saw another thread just below this that appears to be similar.

I'll try hooking up a 9v supply vs. the AA battery, but in my application it's really nice to not need AC power for the wall wart.

It seems to me this should be a valid way to hook up the rig, but maybe I've missed something and another topology of connections is recommended for what I'm trying to do. Any help is appreciated.
james
Site Admin

Re: Connection THRU output kills MIDI

Post by james »

The THRU on the G2M is a direct connection to the input -- the signal is not buffered at all. This ensures the G2M doesn't affect the signal in any way, but it also means that doing things to the THRU signal (muting it for example) will affect the input. So think of the THRU as another input, as well as an output.

To use A/B switching you want to put this on the input to the G2M, or if it has to be on the THRU do it in such a way that it doesn't affect the signal.
Stratman1957

Post by Stratman1957 »

Thanks James, my main problem appears to be some noisy loop condition when I try to use the same amp for both the midi audio output and the split guitar out. I'll use two amps or add another split at the output into the amp.

Another follow up: Using an acoustic with built in pickup, I'm not getting consistent detection of triggering. (Takamine ES350), built in preamp unmodified

I also notice I'm not "clipping" with Volume maxed out.

I noticed a description of a "BOOST" switch in the literature here online.

Is that automatic or on an actual switch somewhere on the unit that needs to be set?

If I need more gain to make it work is it just a matter of adding another pre-amp stage adjusted properly to get the clip working occasionally to be at the right level?

Thanks,

Ken.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The original G2M (version 1) had a boost. The new G2M V3 can handle a much bigger dynamic range, so doesn't need a boost. Often, the signal won't clip because of this.

To check level, play a single note and see how long it takes before the MIDI note turns off -- that's a good way to check the signal level.

Acoustic guitars are also more susceptible to handling noise (from the strings and the guitar body) that could cause problems.