Powering a V3 with a TrueTone 1 Spot

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

ConorDrinane

Powering a V3 with a TrueTone 1 Spot

Post by ConorDrinane »

Hi guys,

Just got my V3 this week and it works fine with a battery and with a certain 9V supply I have once I reverse the polarity on the head of it but I was really hoping to get to use my 1 Spot (http://truetone.com/1-spot/) to power the V3 since I already have one on my pedal board.

To use the power supply that works with the V3 on any other pedal I have to reverse the polarity back. Do you think it's possible the V3 was just wired up wrong or something.

Thanks in advance,

Conor
james
Site Admin

Re: Powering a V3 with a TrueTone 1 Spot

Post by james »

The G2M V3 has a standard positive-tip 9V connection. But many pedal power supplies do this backwards: negative tip.
ConorDrinane

Post by ConorDrinane »

Hi, thanks for the reply. The 1 Spot comes with a reverse polarity attachment so it's not a problem for me anymore. :D
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Great :-)
ConorDrinane

Post by ConorDrinane »

Hi, actually a few hours after it was working with the 1spot the power connection port (not sure what the correct name is :? ) stopped working, so now it only works using batteries. I checked using multiple power supplies and they are working normally with other devices.

Is this something you've seen happen before? Please help.

All the best,

Conor
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

We haven't heard of this before. The only thing I can currently think of is that the power supply output a voltage spike and killed something inside the G2M power management... I'm not exactly sure how likely that is, I'll have to check the circuit and get back to you on this one. The power input is protected though.
ConorDrinane

Post by ConorDrinane »

Hi, thanks for the quick reply on a sunday. Let me know what you find. :D

All the best,

Conor
ConorDrinane

Post by ConorDrinane »

Hi James, any ideas on whats gone wrong with my G2M?

All the best,

Conor
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Hi Conor,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - lots been going on this week (we're off to the NAMM show in LA next week and lots to do!)

I can only think of 4 possibilities:

(1) Mechanical problem - is the 9V connector loose? Maybe it has become desoldered from the PCB. Shouldn't be possible, but if the solder hasn't melted fully it might not be as strong as it should be. You can look at this inside the battery compartment: there are 4 tabs on the connector and they shouldn't move if you flex the connector from the outside (plug a PSU in to wiggle it).

(2) A static discharge has killed a protection component -- they are pretty robust, but it's possible a big spike would be enough to damage it. It's designed to fail to protect the rest of the G2M.

(3) Too high an input voltage? It should handle a DC input voltage of around 14V (peak). Although if you use an unregulated power supply with an average (rms) of 9V, the peak value would be close to this 14V limit, so it could damage the voltage regulator inside the G2M. Unregulated supplies like this are simple transformers, not switched-mode supplies like the 1-Spot.

(4) A component in the power supply was not soldered correctly -- again unlikely since it was working before, but always a possibility with any electronic device.

It's easy to open the G2M to investigate; it won't affect your warranty.

James
ConorDrinane

Post by ConorDrinane »

Hi James, well I checked the 4 tabs and they seem secured down fine.

I can't pinpoint why this has happened. The 2 different power supplies I've used with the G2M have both been very reliable for a long time and they were both connected to a power conditioned source.

Is this a case of sending this one back in replace of another one?

Have fun at NAMM,

Conor