Are legato notes sent "overlapping" (to trigger portamento)

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

alechecco83

Are legato notes sent "overlapping" (to trigger portamento)

Post by alechecco83 »

I am buying a mono synth with portamento. This synth will active portamento between notes only if the two notes sent via MIDI are overlapping (in the sense there is no silence between them). I am asking if it's possible to create notes like that with G2M, or instead is it the case that each node will always start after another one is finished making portamento impossible?
james
Site Admin

Re: Are legato notes sent "overlapping" (to trigger portamen

Post by james »

The G2M won't overlap notes, but it will send them next to each other (MIDI is a serial protocol so all messages are sent one after the other).

For 2 notes played one after the other, you will get: note-on (1) , note-off (1), note-on (2). No gaps other than the time it takes for the MIDI message to be sent.

Most synths are happy with this, but I know sometimes overlapping the notes can help, so in the above example you would want: note-on (1), note-on (2), note-off (1).

The G2M doesn't do this but we added support into the i2M musicport to give you this. The feature is called "note delay" and it lets you configure a time that the note-off is delayed for. This lets you achieve the above, but also gives you more options on a polyphonic synth (longer delays lets you blend 2 playing notes).

The i2M musicport is USB-MIDI, not 5-pin MIDI you probably need a "USB MIDI Host" to connect it to most hardware synths (unless they have a USB host input).
alechecco83

Post by alechecco83 »

Oh I don't have a USB host. What about a sustain signal? I have a midi controller with a sustain pedal. Do you think that would work on a G2M?

Thank you very much
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Yes, you can send the MIDI sustain controller to the G2M and it will sustain notes, so they overlap until you release the sustain pedal.

To connect this up, you need the MIDI breakout cable for the G2M (http://shop.sonuus.com/product_info.php ... ucts_id=56). This converts the MIDI-out on the G2M into a MIDI-Out and MIDI-In so that you can send MIDI to the G2M.