What does voice/wind mode do?

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

SHORVATH

What does voice/wind mode do?

Post by SHORVATH »

I'm using the G2M v3 with a C-melody saxophone and I'm not sure which mode to select for best performance. I've tried both G (guitar) and V (voice/wind) mode and can't really tell which works best. Can you explain what the difference is? Thank You.
james
Site Admin

Re: What does voice/wind mode do?

Post by james »

The difference between voice/wind and guitar is very subtle.

For a signal that us truly monophonic (only one note) the pitch-detection algorithm is tuned slightly differently. Voice/wind or anything that can't produce two notes at the same time can often get better results in this mode.

If there is a change of more than one note (i.e., stringed instruments), the other modes take account of this and try to make a better decision about the note played even if there are other notes sounding at the same time.

The differences are mainly to do with notes being mis-detected, or being detected in the wrong octave. It really is fine-tuning of an algorithm that works almost perfectly most of the time in any case.
SHORVATH

Post by SHORVATH »

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.
For other folks using this with a saxophone, here's a tip:
I put a passive R/C (resistor/capacitor) bandpass filter (approx. 130 to 700 Hz) on the GSM input to help reduce extraneous noise from key clicks and larger key pad thumps.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The R/C filter is a good idea. Thanks for sharing that!
vidya31

Post by vidya31 »

I got to know the difference about the voice/wind .Thanks a lot..!!!