How to use G2M for notation

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

delbarco

How to use G2M for notation

Post by delbarco »

Although I have searched the web I have not found any way to use my G2M for notation.
I have plugged my jazzbass with a jack to G2M and G2M to my PC with a Midi-USB cable... tried Sibelius 7.5, Guitar Pro 6, ScoreCloud... it was impossible :cry:
What am I doing wrong? I just want to play my bass following some metronome and get the notation written in midi
Suggestions please!
Thank you :D
james
Site Admin

Re: How to use G2M for notation

Post by james »

What's happening to make it impossible? Can you please explain in more detail.

Usually, it' just plug-and-play: the notation software will record notes just as if you were using a MIDI keyboard.
delbarco

Post by delbarco »

I just plug things as I said. Could you show me any video where I can see how it is supposed to be done? I don't know what do you mean with the details.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

There are lots of different notation packages around, and DAWs (sequencers) also do this. So there are lots of different ways to set this up.

Here's an old video showing the original G2M, playing and recording into ProTools. This should help cover the basics of what you need to do.

https://youtu.be/SWXGGotuLNE
delbarco

Post by delbarco »

Right, so I need a midi controller or something? wouldn't it be enough with my pc?
Any free software instead of ProTools or may it work with guitar pro 6?
Anyway I do not see any notation in your video
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

You don't need a MIDI controller. Guitar Pro6 works very well (make sure you select the input MIDI device as keyboard and not MIDI guitar, otherwise you'll only get notation on on string -- the MIDI guitar setting assumes one MIID channel per string, which is impossible for the G2M to do).

MuseScore looks good, though I haven't tested it myself. It is free: https://musescore.org/en

In the video around 3:35 you can see the notation being displayed on the bottom of the screen.
delbarco

Post by delbarco »

james wrote:You don't need a MIDI controller. Guitar Pro6 works very well (make sure you select the input MIDI device as keyboard and not MIDI guitar, otherwise you'll only get notation on on string -- the MIDI guitar setting assumes one MIID channel per string, which is impossible for the G2M to do).

MuseScore looks good, though I haven't tested it myself. It is free: https://musescore.org/en

In the video around 3:35 you can see the notation being displayed on the bottom of the screen.
With GP6 the problem is that all the figures are the same duration, no matter what time are you playing.
Similar problem with MuseScore...

I've been seraching the web for a video with something this simple, working with GP6 I mean. No luck.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Is some quantisation set in GP6 or MuseScore so the durations are all being set to the same?

It's been a while since I used GP6, but I didn't have any problems like this. I know others used GP6 successfully. Maybe someone else here has some ideas?
delbarco

Post by delbarco »

No quantisation stuff in GP6
So, here we are... unnable to find a video of Guitar pro using G2M to notate...
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I also can't find any videos with GP6 and either the G2M, or the i2M musicport which has similar MIDI conversion.

Have you contacted Guitar Pro to see if they can help? The G2M works exactly like a MIDI keyboard.