TRACKING PROBLEMS

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

paulwegmann

TRACKING PROBLEMS

Post by paulwegmann »

Hi,

I bought the sonuus G2M, and I can't figure out what is going on.

- I'm using a MIDI/USB cable, to connect with my computer, using MAX/MSP to receive MIDI info.
- I must say I used the same cable to connect my keyboard and works perfectly. So the bug is not on cable, nor PC.
- I tried using the tone control of my guitar on zero, to filter harmonics, and continues the same problem.
- Battery is new.
- I know g2m is monophonic, so I'm playing carefully in order to send just ONE note each time, very slowly.

The interface that receives and shows the MIDI note number I'm actually playing, changes quickly, is very very unstable, and rarely detects the note I'm sending from the guitar. If this happens, changes so rapidly that makes sonuus unuseful. It keeps changing as a random behavior, It seems that sonuus is not tracking the note correctly.

A friend of mine have the same G2M, he says that works perfectly.
I'm thinking my product is not working correctly, and all tests I made prove I'm not doing nothing wrong, and the midi/usb cable is perfectly right.

What can I do? Thomann.de (where I bought) says that they can't change because more than 14 days passed since the purchase date. I asked for a friend in germany to get the sonuus for me (I'm in Brazil), so ... I'm really sad!

Thanks.
james
Site Admin

Re: TRACKING PROBLEMS

Post by james »

It is unlikely (but not impossible) that the G2M is not working correctly - we have only seen very a few with hardware problems, although it can happen. If the G2M is not working correctly, we can replace it for you. But, we need to confirm what's going on first.

The best way to check is to send the G2M a stable tone. Either from a signal generator (from Max?) or from your guitar. You want to send 110Hz (the A string).

Make sure all the DIP switches on the G2M are set to the "off" position, and chromatic mode is off (i.e., the G2M is sending pitch-bend).

What you should get is a stable MIDI signal - it will send the A note, and then some pitch-bend. It will send other "envelope" MIDI messages, but pitch-bend should be minimal. There shouldn't be any note-on/note-off messages while the 110Hz signal is being input to the G2M.

The other thing to note is the green LED. This is used for tuning. At 110Hz, it should be quite stable (on or off, but not flashing quickly). It might pulse very slowly, depending how close to 110Hz the signal is.
paulwegmann

Post by paulwegmann »

Thank for your answer, James.
I have an idea: I will make a private vídeo and send the link only for you. May I use private message here?
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

That's a great idea. Yes you can send me a PM with the link.
paulwegmann

Post by paulwegmann »

Good news, James!

I tested my G2M on a friend of mine's Mac, and works perfectly! :)

Do you have reports of driver issues, or incompatibility with windows 10 ?

thanks!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

That is good news!

The G2M doesn't have any drivers, so it can't have incompatibility problems. It's just standard 5-pin MIDI. Could it be the USB-MIDI cable you are using? Although you said that worked correctly with a keyboard.
paulwegmann

Post by paulwegmann »

Yes.. I think can be the cable, but would be very strange because is working normally with my keyboard... I will try to get another cable and check. Thanks James!
JeremiahSevilla

Post by JeremiahSevilla »

paulwegmann wrote:Yes.. I think are much safer choice and how to get rid of gyno can be the cable, but would be very strange because is working normally with these updated here my keyboard... I will try to get another cable and check. Thanks James!
Had a similar problem, and replacing the cable solved it. Yes, it was strange, I'm still not able to understand the logic behind it, but it worked.
Last edited by JeremiahSevilla on Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:38 am, edited 5 times in total.
SheilaStclaire

Post by SheilaStclaire »

I sold my hardware after getting the JamOrigin app https://arynews.tv/en/tag/imran-khan/ It works well enough for me and there's no clunky interface to lug around and no ugly MIDI pickup.