Desparate for help with G2M Mod

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

rconstan

Desparate for help with G2M Mod

Post by rconstan »

I need technical help for a problem that probably requires modification. I have an older Sonuus midi converter that requires a battery, but I am using it with a power supply that clips on where the battery should go, since there is no separate power input on mine. My problem is that I need a way to defeat the timeout that shuts down the device when its not used. My only means of switching from guitar to midi sound during performance also mutes the input when its not in the effects loop. So half the time when I go to switch it in, it is disabled by the timeout! After so much work to learn to play cleanly enough to make it truly usable, I'm stuck if I can't rely on it working when I need it. Can you please tell me how to defeat this feature? I'm pretty knowledgeable about electronics, so if it requires a board level mod I can do it if you just tell me how.

Thanks
james
Site Admin

Re: Desparate for help with G2M Mod

Post by james »

Unfortunately, there's no way to bypass the auto-power down. We've had several requests for this and that's why the new "version 3" G2M included options to disable this feature (and included a 9V PSU input which also bypasses it).

The way it works is after 30 minutes of not seeing any "signal" it will shut down to save the battery. This timeout is reset whenever the G2M detects a note, or indeed whenever it is powered-on.

One way of achieving this might be to have an A/B switch that doubles as a power switch - so you can switch the G2M into the signal chain and power it up at the same time. Ideally, a short delay between the two would be better so it powers up before it receives the signal.
rconstan

Re: Desparate for help with G2M Mod

Post by rconstan »

I have some other ideas on this I'd like to discuss with you, but I will do so via the private email thread you recently responded to.