Monophonic non-midi keyboard

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

jhmclearly

Monophonic non-midi keyboard

Post by jhmclearly »

Hi all

Can someone tell me whether the G2M will allow a non-midi keyboard (Casio PT-30) which is monophonic and has a standard jack plug output (I assume for headphones) to access a midi device and its various voices (Korg Microarranger).

I know it may sound a stupid question but as a fairly non musical person the one key record and play on the PT-30 as a great boon and would be even better if I could access the Korg (brilliant but complicated).

Many thanks

John
james
Site Admin

Re: Monophonic non-midi keyboard

Post by james »

I have done this before, and it can work well.

As long as the source sound is as pure as possible it can be very good (avoid filter sweeps, amplutude envelopes, etc) and keep the tone simple (something with "gentle" harmonics, so that the fundamental tone is nice and strong).

Then the synth you play generates a tone, the G2M converts this to MIDI and controls another synth.
Hokum52

Re: Monophonic non-midi keyboard

Post by Hokum52 »

Speaking of that, what would be the best non-midi keyboard to use with G2M? Is it supposed to work with any keyboard, or are some brands better than the others in terms of compatibility? And, if there is actually a recommended keyboard brand/model, would you know a reliable shop that stocks them in Southern Europe? Because I was planning to buy one of these houses in Greece for the holidays and play music there mostly, as I live in a flat where I can't really play music as I'd want to, lest I want the neighbors to launch a crusade against me.