midi signal light causes clicking sound

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

james
Site Admin

Re: midi signal light causes clicking sound

Post by james »

Hello Madoldgit,

Your experiments are interesting, thanks for posting the results.

A guitar pickup is a high-impedance signal source so it can be quite susceptible to interference. The G2M has a very high impedance input circuit which means that any interference on the guitar signal will be faithfully reproduced. The advantage of this is that the THRU signal is also a faithful reproduction of the original guitar signal -- no "tone sucking".

Different guitars will behave differently too. A pickup is a very inductive and resistive electrical component, so it has a characteristic resonant frequency. Depending where this frequency is, the pickup will be more or less sensitive to particular types of interference.

When you connect a MIDI cable, that acts as a large antenna for the MIDI signal to be coupled into other signals, so it can make things worse.

If you put some kind of buffer before the G2M (such as your mixer), this converts the guitar's high-impedance signal to a low-impedance signal which is much less susceptible to interference.

Inside the G2M there is no direct path for this interference, but I'm wondering if the interference from the MIDI LED "pulsing" could be coupling into the battery connector (it's quite a long wire) and getting into the audio signal that way. Maybe check how those wires are positioned and move them away from the MIDI LED to see if that helps.
madoldgit

Post by madoldgit »

Hello James

I checked the wires from the battery. They were close to the LED. I moved them to run along the side of the battery. It did not make a difference. The effect sort of comes on gradually.

Anyway, I have been careful to keep the guitar cable away from the others and that seems to do the trick. Thank you for your invaluable advice. The effect seems to be predictable and so avoidable.

I want to tell you that I think the G2M is a great piece of kit. I'm always surprised at how well it copes with my scruffy playing!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Thanks for the update, and I'm very pleased to hear you are really enjoying your G2M.