Capture midi in tab editor

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

jschloff

Capture midi in tab editor

Post by jschloff »

I would like to capture midi into a tab editor to capture ideas in tablature. I use guitar pro and the notes are captured but all of them come in as quarter notes. I read that you can use guitar pro but just capturing the note without duration is useless. Are you able to capture duration in guitar pro. If so how. If not, what editor do you recommend that is a reasonable price?
phildtankup

Re: Capture midi in tab editor

Post by phildtankup »

I am having the same problem using G2M with Guitar Pro 6; the notes are tabbed according to the value set in GP6 (quarter/eighths etc) and not 'as played'; also, the notes are all tabbed on one string regardless of where they are played on the fret board. I read somewhere that this could be due to a mismatch of channels; I believe G2M sends midi data on channel 1 and although this cannot be changed one could use a program like midi-ox to re-map this to a different channel. Would anyone at Sonuus like to comment on this please as this is a great feature to have if it works correctly.
phildtankup

Post by phildtankup »

Guess I am going to try and answer this myself... I posted this same query on the GuitarPro site and they have been trying to help out (yes, they reply to support questions). Dave Weiner demonstrates how it is possible to record tab using the G2M in his video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaodEXYBcL4) but he uses Notations Progression software and not Guitar Pro so we are thinking that some sort of auto-quantize feature needs to be added to GP as a future update in order for this to work. There still remains the question of why the standard notation appears with correct note values while the guitar tab is on a single string (look closely at Dave's video to see what I mean, it's always tabbed on the high E). Looking at the midi implementation chart for G2M i see it transmits notes in the 38-88 range and not the full 0-127, could this have anything to do with it? Failing that I guess it has to be the midi pickup route to capture notes from individual strings.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

The TAB appears on only one string because the application is assuming a "MIDI Guitar" which has a separate MIDI converter on each strings, and so can send MIDI notes on different MIDI channels. Of course, it's not possible for the G2M to do that because it doesn't know which string you are playing on. You get the same problem if you use a MIDI keyboard to create the notes.

The G2M note range is not a problem because it outputs all the notes the guitar can produce.

You could split the notes into different MIDI channels to make this work better. We will soon be launching a new product that will make that possible (i2M musicport). We will be updating our web site soon with these details. See this for a quick preview:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=341

However, even doing that you have to be careful because the same note can still appear on different strings, then the TAB program can still be confused.

It would be nice if you could setup some parameters on the TAB program to give it guidance on which strings/frets you are using then it could make a better guess as to which is the correct string/fret based on the note.
phildtankup

Post by phildtankup »

Hi James
Thanks for the response, the fact that some tab software programs can translate the g2m midi output into standard music notation with the correct note values seems to suggest a software solution should be possible. Whether this can be achieved as a separate operation to create guitar tab once the standard notation has been 'recorded' remains to be seen but as you rightly say the same note can be played in several different places on the guitar neck so this in itself will cause problems.
John

Post by John »

Same problem here in GP. I bought the G2M to notate TAB. So far hasnt been successful. Are there any tips/recommendations/(what software to use) for notating TAB with the G2M??
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

I know that some notation programs are better at guessing which string you play based on the MIDI notes.

In Guitar Pro, if you select MIDI Guitar as the input, I think it assumes each string comes on it's own MIDI channel. If you tell it the input is coming from a MIDI keyboard instead, does it make a better job of it? I know Notion's Progression worked well the last time I tried it (which was a few years ago).

Essentially the G2M appears like a keyboard, so the software has no idea which string is which. But it gives you a much faster/easier way to input MIDI notes than using a keyboard (if you only play guitar) or entering the notes manually. The MIDI conversion is never 100% correct because it is difficult to play that accurately all the time, but even with a few wrong notes, it's easy to move them around to get the correct note after you've played it into the software.

Most (or all) notation packages ignore pitch-bend, so you really want the G2M to be in chromatic mode. Ideally, they would allow pitch-bend to be used to simplify the notation of string bends.
vov222

Post by vov222 »

Hello guys,same problem with me that guitar and i am little bit confused that how can i this guitar in the night show which will be held after two days..only single piece vof guita i have thats why i am worried about the guitar..any body help me at this hard sitation??

balance scale
james710

Post by james710 »

I am having the same problem using G2M with Guitar Pro 6; the notes are tabbed according to the value set in GP6 (quarter/eighths etc) and not 'as played'; also, the notes are all tabbed on one string regardless of where they are played on the fret board. I read somewhere that this could be due to a mismatch of channels; I believe G2M sends midi data on channel 1 and although this cannot be changed one could use a program like midi-ox to re-map this to a different channel. Would anyone at Sonuus like to comment on this please as this is a great feature to have if it works correctly.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

GP6 will quantise all recorded notes (as will most sequencers) if you tell it to. Usually this can be turned off. The advantage is everything is musically in time, even if you aren't quite playing in time. I don't have GP6 installed at the moment, so I can't check exactly how to do this. If you can't turn it off, reducing the size of the quantisation (32nd notes for example) can help.

If you set a "MIDI guitar" as the input, GP6 will assume each string is on a different MIDI channel (a MIDI guitar is like having 6 G2Ms, one for each string). The G2M can't do that because it doesn't know which string corresponds to which notes (there are may ways to play the same note on a guitar). The solution is to tell GP6 you are using a MIDI keyboard instead, then it knows everything will come in on one MIDI channel and it should them try to split the notes across the strings in an intelligent way.