the MIDI Spec says X for NOTE OFF transmission?

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

houseofmidi

the MIDI Spec says X for NOTE OFF transmission?

Post by houseofmidi »

HI, I'm considering purchasing a G2M for messing about with guitar and voice into a few synths.

So I was reading the Midi Spec and it seems to suggest that there is not Midi Note Off sent. Is this correct? I guess my concern is that if the G2M just sends NOTE ON then how does the Synth ADSR work properly? you would think this will result in just skipping the Attack and Decay.

I've watched a bunch of youtube videoss but they are all concerned about the tracking so its a mass of fast notes. where this problem would not be evident.

ie if I play Daaa (rest) Di Di Daaaaaaaaaaa Di (rest) Di

the will the rests be recognised? will the Attack and Decay Stage in the Daaaaaaaaaaa be used? from the videos there seems to be a Gate triggering some kind of NOTE OFF.

its just hard to tell from teh spec and the video.

Some of my synths seem to have a tendency to get Stuck Notes so I guess its a concern.
james
Site Admin

Re: the MIDI Spec says X for NOTE OFF transmission?

Post by james »

The G2M does, of course, sent Note-Off messages. The MIDI chart shows that it doesn't include velocity information with the note-off. In a keyboard, for example this can be used to tell the synth how quickly the key was released which can be used to control various aspects of the sound. Most keyboards actually don't support note-off velocity, anyway.

So, you play a note, and the G2M will send a note-on, with velocity to indicate how hard you played that note. When you stop the note (or play another note), it will send a note-off to shutdown the original note. You won't get stuck notes.

Hope this helps.