Does it actually work?

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

steeeve

Does it actually work?

Post by steeeve »

I read that it works, and I read that it doesn't. I bought it to see for myself. I've tried all the optimizing tips.

At the risk of "tooting my own horn," my technique is considerably clean. I had to proclaim that because of its relevance here. Here's what I've tried:

MOTU Ultralite, Reaper, Cubase 5, lots of vsti's.
64 buffers
1. A Strat, a Tele, and a 335 copy
2. Neck pickup / tone rolled off
3. boost on and off
4. string muffler at 1st fret
5. picking very softly / picking more aggressively
6. eq between guitar and G2M w/ highs rolled off

One thing I've noticed is that I can tune to strobe tuner nearly perfectly, but I can't get the led to stop pulsing on the G2M. I can get it to slow down quite a bit, but never "solid" as has been recommended. What am I missing here?

The best results I've gotten is sequencing at half tempo and playing lightly right around the neck pickup only on the top three strings. Not exactly convenient and not good enough results to be worth the hassle.

I have watched videos of guys saying how much they like it and how well it works, but then when they play it the tracking doesn't seem very good. The Dave Weiner video was probably the best I've seen, and he just basically says use the neck pickup, roll off the tone, don't clip too much. I'm doing all that. Again, what am I missing?

Thanks
james
Site Admin

Re: Does it actually work?

Post by james »

What exactly are you getting when it's "doesn't work"? The more details the better so we can offer more assistance.

I assume you have read the latest FAQ? viewtopic.php?f=11&t=316

Regarding the built-in tuner, it may lock onto a harmonic rather than the fundamental, so there can sometimes be a difference between it and a good external tuner if the fundamental tone and the harmonics are not at exactly the same pitch (which happens with thicker strings, particularly if they are not new). Getting the LED to flash "slowly" is enough.