G2M use with nylon string for notation software?

The G2M™ Universal Guitar to MIDI Converter.

Moderators: johnmc, james

kano

G2M use with nylon string for notation software?

Post by kano »

Hi,
I'm looking for a guitar - midi converter which will allow notation software (ie finale/sibelius/progression) to transcribe audio from my nylon string guitar.
Can I use the G2M for this? I read the reply to the question about piezo pickups, but am still not sure whether this product will be suitable for use with the long sustain on a nylon string guitar. My nylon string has a low end preamp built in with a 1/4 output, so I'm assuming that when you say the G2M is usable with any electric guitar it will work with this setup.
If it does work with this pickup, would I play notes of a chord individually for them to register through the unit for the sole purpose of transcription?
Thanks for your help.
johnmc
Site Admin

Re: G2M use with nylon string for notation software?

Post by johnmc »

Although we don't have a guitar to match your setup here, we're pretty confident the G2M should work with your nylon stringed guitar. Regarding the notation of chords that you mentioned, yes, you will have to play the notes individually because the G2M is monophonic.
kbrunkhorst

Re: G2M use with nylon string for notation software?

Post by kbrunkhorst »

I just got my G2M today. I'm using it with a recent model Sony laptop to input data into Finale 2009. I teach guitar; this would enable me to create lots of exercises, transcriptions, etc. by inputting data directly as I play.
I'm not convinced.
The tracking/latency is bad - consistently about one eighth-note off at MM=120. (Obviously, if it were MM=240, we'd be a quarter note off.)
And the pitch is variable. Sometimes I get ridiculous bends; sometimes I get a note an octave lower.
Best results come from the piezo output of a PRS guitar. The worst come from my Klein guitar - too many overtones, I would guess.
Adjusting the settings of Finale for MIDI input, etc., have not improved matters much.
If it doesn't get any better than this for tracking, I'll send it back. I can't write music with it.